IK Multimedia AmpliTube Custom Shop
IK Multimedia AmpliTube Custom Shop

Software Amp Simulator from IK Multimedia belonging to the Amplitube series.

Public price: free
tarrtime tarrtime

« Innovative Idea, Not as big a hassle as some people complain »

Published on 12/20/12 at 05:47
Amplitube Custom Shop is a software application to be used in conjuction with IK Multimedia Amplitube 3. It provides an interface for the user to 'try' and 'buy' gear to be used in AT3. Custom Shop is easy to install. After opening the program, it is necessary to log in with your IKM account. Then it is pretty easy to get around. I've found some of the navigation is a little inefficient. For instance, if you want to select a couple of different cabinet models to try out, you have to navigate from the home screen to the cabinet section, then select one of the cabinets you want to try. A new screen will come up and say you can 'demo' this cabinet. Next, if you want to select another cabinet, you have to return all the way to the home screen rather than being able to simply return to the last screen where you left off. Minor complaint, but nonetheless a little frustrating.

I was pleasantly surprised that the software worked as well as it did when it first was released. I haven't really come across any 'bugs' since I have been using it. I got to give IKM for having a reliable system on there end of things because this program has to connect to their servers for use, and I have never experienced any down time. I have no complaints about this at all.

Custom Shop is an innovative idea. Virtual or 'modeled' gear has been around for a long time, it was only a matter of time before someone took the analogy a step further by creating a virtual or 'modeled' shop to purchase the gear from. There are many people that complain that they don't want to use Custom Shop, they would just rather only have AT3. I suppose if your computer cannot connect to the internet then Custom Shop could be a hassle. I typically turn off the internet connection when I am using my computer for music, but just turn the internet on when I need to authorize some gear.
The 'gear credits' aspect of Custom Shop is another big complaint. Many people complain that they should be able to use their money to buy gear, rather than use their money to buy credit which is used to buy gear. Regardless, my opinion is that you should never gear credits at full price. It is a better idea to wait until IKM is having a 'group buy' for credits. In this case you can typically get 4x the credits for the amount of money you spend.