All user reviews for the Digidesign AIR Ensemble

Software Chorus from Digidesign .

( 4/5 based on 3 reviews )
3 reviews
  • ericthegreatericthegreat

your plug in collection needs this

Digidesign AIR EnsemblePublished on 01/31/12 at 23:18
    I installed the Digisign AIR Ensemble with no problems on my Pro Tools LE 9. It was as simple as installing any standard plug-in is on a Mac. I don't have the manual as I bought it electronically, but this is literally the easiest plug-in I have ever used as it simply has 6 preset vibrato and chorus sounds.

I am running the Digisign AIR Ensemble plug-in on a Mac Book Pro that has 4 GB of RAM and a 2.2 GHz processor. I use the plug-in in Pro Tools LE 9 that I run with a Digi 002 rack version. The software runs fine with this set up as I am able to run a few of these at once. I've never had a need to run more than three or four of these plug-ins at once, so I can't speak to how well it performs beyond that.

I've had the Digisign AIR Ensemble for a 2 years. I love the sound this produces when I am looking for a leslie type sound or for any type of chorus or vibrato application. It is amazingly easy to use as there are only six preset sounds on it that can't be manipulated with any further parameters. This is both a good and a bad thing. It is good because it makes it extremely easy to use and anyone can figure out how to get the most out of it. It is also unfortunate that it is limited in its use. You can definitely find a useful application for all of the presets. For the price it is a bargain and is nice to have in my plug-in collection as an easy way to get a nice sounding chorus or vibrato. I suggest this to anyone looking for a solid plug in with these effects, it wont make your system unstable and will never crash on you whether you’re on a mac or pc.
  • HatsubaiHatsubai

Basically a Haas effect

Digidesign AIR EnsemblePublished on 06/22/11 at 22:01
    AIR plugins are part of the set of plugins that come together with Pro Tools. AIR stands for Advanced Instrument Research, and these are highly versatile plugins that really help expand the overall usage of Pro Tools. First of all, there are no compatibility issues with these plugins as they're made exclusively for Pro Tools. That means no unexpected crashing or weird bugs. I never read the manual on this, so I can't really comment on that. These plugins are easy enough to use that you shouldn't really need it.

AIR Ensemble is basically utilizing the Haas effect to help thicken up a mix. For those that don't know what the Haas effect is, it's basically taking the same track, delaying it a touch and panning them. This creates a stereo effect without having that nasty phase cancellation that normally occurs when you simply copy/paste a track to the left and right channels.

I've only been using Pro Tools for a few months, so my opinions may change in the future. I never experienced any performance issues with these plugins, and the reason is that they're made exclusively for Pro Tools. Because of that, everything is rock solid. I use a Mac Pro Dual Quad Core machine, and while Logic is my main DAW, Pro Tools is what I've been experimenting with lately, and I can see why it's considered the best DAW out there. I never had any issues when it came to RAM or slowdowns, but it could also be because my machine is fairly hefty.

If I'm going to the do the Haas effect, I normally do it manually. This plugin helps save time, but it's not exactly as useful as certain other plugins that Pro Tools has to offer. It's solid and fun to mess with, and it's great for beginners. I just find it easier to do stuff manually since I've been doing it for years and years. I just wish DigiDesign would sell these for other DAWs out there so other people could experience them outside of the Pro Tools world.
  • moosersmoosers

Digidesign AIR EnsemblePublished on 04/08/10 at 00:30
    Digidesign's AIR (Advanced Instrument Research) Ensemble is a plug-in that can be found exclusively with the newest version of Pro Tools, version 8. It comes free with the software, and you don't need to do anything further to install the plug-in once you've installed Pro Tools 8, as it takes care of it when you do so. The interface of the plug-in is very simple and easy to adapt to. Like all of the AIR plug-ins, it has a pretty bland looking interface, but this does make it easy to follow everything going on. The plug-in consists of parameters for rate, depth, delay, shimmer, stereo width, and mix. All of them come in the form of knobs, so they are easily manipulated without having to put much thought into it beyond what you're looking to achieve. I don't think that they make a manual for AIR Ensemble or for any of the other AIR plug-ins.

I just recently upgraded to Pro Tools 8 from 7.4, and I'm very happy that I did. I'm now running Pro Tools 8 and the AIR Ensemble plug-in on a Mac Book Pro that has a 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM. I run Pro Tools 8 LE with a Digi 002R audio interface. Although I had a lot of previous experience with Pro Tools 8 on an HD system, it wasn't until I upgraded to 8 at home that I tried out the AIR Ensemble plug-in. This plug-in takes up a very little amount of processing power, so as long as you have a system where you can currently run Pro Tools and some plug-ins on it comfortably, you'll be fine with this one and most of the other AIR plug-ins.

Basically, the Digidesign AIR Ensemble is a plug-in that adds depth to your sound by emulating the multi-tracking of the track on top of it's self. Of course you have all sorts of controls to work with, so it isn't this simple in practice, but essentially that is what the AIR Ensemble plug-in will do for you. It differs in tone quality to the AIR Chorus plug-in, but is generally in the same vein. The plug-in actually has a very clean sound, but this isn't the type of plug-in that I'm using all too often. However, since it was free I'm quite happy to have it around, and makes for just another reason that you should upgrade to Pro Tools 8 from earlier versions if you haven't done so!