Elektron Octatrack DPS-1
The Octatrack DPS-1 is a 8 track dynamic performance sampler, introduced to us at the MusikMesse this year.
The Octatrack isdesigned for audio processing and performance oriented sampling. Every track features real-time pitch scaling & time stretch.
The Octatrack is coming up and Elektron has started to unveil more details with weekly updates.
Here is a list of features announced by Elektron:
- "Flex machines offer the most extensive sound manipulation possibilities. A sample used within a Flex machine is loaded to the RAM memory of the Octatrack. From there it can be twisted, stretched, warbled and reassembled in multiple ways. Flex machines are unbeatable sound processors."
- "Static machines are the perfect tool for handling extremely large samples. Samples assigned to Static machines are streamed from the Compact Flash card, thus their size can be in the order of gigabytes. Of course you can time stretch and pitch scale them as needed."
- "Thru machines do not sample or play back sounds. Instead they let the Octatrack affect incoming audio with the dual FX blocks. Two powerful FX chains each consisting of up to four linked tracks, totalling eight effects per chain, can be formed."
- "Other machines - The Octatrack will feature special machines for recording audio from the four external inputs. These machines can be used as strange effect devices, intricate loopers or as simple audio recorders. They will allow for quick assembling of audio structures."
- "Individual track lengths and time signatures - Every track can be up to 64 steps of length and all the tracks of a pattern can have both unique length and time signature settings. A master length parameter sets the number of measures the pattern will play before all tracks are restarted from the beginning. If the master length is set to infinity, the tracks will play and loop within themselves infinitely. This amount of pattern customization makes it easy to create intricate and continuously evolving poly rhythms."
- " Micro Timing - The Micro Timing menu brings detailed and very precise note trig editing to the Octatrack. Every note trig can be nudged back and forth on a 1/384th step resolution note grid. The resolution doubles when the time signature of the track is set to 2x. Lightning fast flams through special repeat parameters, off-kilter stutters and organic grooves are all made possible by the Micro Timing feature."
- "Dedicated MIDI Sequencer - Apart from the eight internal tracks the Octatrack offers, by the simple press of a button, eight dedicated MIDI tracks. Every MIDI track features an arpeggiator, three assignable LFOs and two pages of CC parameters. Micro Timing and individual track length and time signature settings further enhance the MIDI experience. The eight MIDI tracks can play in conjunction with the eight internal tracks, making the Octatrack well-suited for controlling other instruments during a live performance."
- "Parameter Locks - The parameter lock feature contributed a great deal to the functionality of the Machinedrum and Monomachine sequencers and is found in the Octatrack as well. A parameter lock allows individual parameter settings for all note trigs. Trigless trigs is a parameter lock variant that doesn't trig samples, instead they alter only parameter settings for chosen sequencer steps. Through the use of trigless trigs the melodic structure of for example a vocal loop can be completely changed. If the loop is subject to timestretch the pitch can be altered without affecting the timing."
Viewers of this article also read...
- Arturia Origin Keyboard Arturia has announced that Origin Keyboard is now shipping.
- Jomox SunSyn MK2 The SunSyn 2.0 will be manufactured again in a very small run, Jomox announced
- Doepfer Dark Time Sequencer Doepfer has an analog sequencer in development intended as an add-on for their Dark Energy synth.