Vintage Icon VS6
Vintage Icon VS6

SG-Shaped Guitar from Vintage belonging to the Icon series.

salastyle007 salastyle007

« A great rockin' SG »

Published on 08/30/21 at 04:25
Audience: Anyone
Features — 7
Purchased used from a musician. Still own it. One-piece Mahogany neck with classic "soft C" profile which plays great, set into the body. Twin master volume and tone controls with three-way pickup selector switch. 22 Medium Jumbo profile frets, with trapezoid inlays. Classic SG shape. It feels and sounds great. The guitar feels heavier than a typical Gibson SG, but that depends on the model. It's not a significant difference. The tuners are Wilkinson I believe, and for some reason weren't holding tuning great on mine so I swapped them for Grovers.

Sound — 8
Suited my blues and classic rock style well, the sound could go from fat and full, to clean and smooth. Classic PAF vibes. Although the pickups did not handle crisp tones well, and sounded muddy at times. Played it through a Marshall combo. I didn't use any effects with it and just cranked up the gain a little when playing AC/DC, Hendrix, etc. It's not a noisy guitar. You can get a wide variety of sounds, although I wouldn't play Metal or anything too heavy, go for a Jackson or ESP in that case. It's perfect for that classic rock or blues sound.

Action, Fit & Finish — 7
The guitar was well set up by the previous owner. I did need to adjust the truss rod several times over the years, but nothing dramatic. Wiring and finish were all fine, good quality there and no complaints. One rough fret, nothing that couldn't be fixed. The pickups needed a little raising. The Wilkinson hardware is a strong point and seems to be holding well. Overall the finish was good, not perfect. I had never owned a JHS / Vintage guitar before and didn't expect much. It feels professional and solid.

Reliability & Durability — 7
I would use this as a second live guitar, or rehearsals and home practice. Reason being the pickup quality could be better but it's good at this price point. Durability is fine. It's dependable and looks quite cool. I have fun using it and it has never let me down. It's a great feeling and sounding guitar, I would easily recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to Epiphone or Squier. I would swap out the pickups for Epiphone Probuckers or Gibsons with clearer tones. I like the overall reliable feeling you get when playing this guitar.

Overall Impression — 8
The Vintage VS6 is a great alternative to the Epiphone G-400 and has that classic SG sound. It’s affordable and has good fretting and finishing. The pickups are clearer than the Epiphone’s and sound a little more authentic, although they’re still not as good as a Gibson’s. It build quality is on par with most Epiphone standard models and makes you feel like you are playing a fully-featured, professional instrument. The solid Wilkinson hardware is a huge factor. Only thing is that the tuning keys aren’t the most consistent so you might want to upgrade them.