Waves PuigTec EQP-1A
Waves PuigTec EQP-1A

Software parametric EQ from Waves belonging to the PuigTec series.

Publié le 12/10/10 à 18:43
The Waves Ltd. PuigTec EQP-1A is an equalizer plug-in that's designed by Jack Joseph Puig and Waves, and of course modeled after the legendary Pultec EQP-1A Program EQ. I don't believe that the plug-in is available outside of buying a full bundle, with the JJP Analog Legends bundle being it's origin. It's also available in a number of other larger bundles from Waves. You'll install it along with whatever bundle you get it in, which shouldn't be a hard process in the least. Using the plug-in should be even simpler, even if you aren't familiar with the Pultec make up. It's about as simple a make up as you'll find in an EQ, and is one that has been copied by countless plug-ins and outboard EQ's. It consists of two bands, each with parameters for boost and attenuation, a well as a certain number of fixed frequencies to choose from on each. It also has a bandwidth parameter for setting how wide or small you want the Q to be, as well as an overall gain parameter which isn't something found on the original Pultec...

Right now I've got the Waves Ltd. PuigTec EQP-1A running on my system at home, although it's not the only place I've used it. My home studio is Pro Tools HD 9, which I run on a Mac Book Pro laptop consisting of a 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM. I run Pro Tools with a Digi 002R audio interface and monitor with a set of ADAM A7's. I've also used this plug-in on our systems at the studio where I work, which are all Pro Tools HD based. I can't say that I've ever had a problem running this plug-in on either system, as both have been adequate enough to run it smoothly.

The Waves Ltd. PuigTec EQP-1A is one of my favorite versions of the Pultec EQP-1A Program EQ, as it's quite solid and very useful for inside the box mixing. Using a Pultec in any form is super simple and I feel like this simplicity almost always helps to yield good results as there isn't too much here to get confused with. It's overall sound is pretty impressive for a software EQ as it's got a nice and warm feel. It's more realistic sounding than some of the other ones out there, as I like this one better than both the Bomb Factory and Nomad Factory versions of the EQP-1A. If you like plug-ins that are modeled after real gear, the JJP Analog Legends bundle is an absolute must try as you'll get this stellar EQP-1A in there!