Fender Standard Telecaster [2009-2018]
Fender Standard Telecaster [2009-2018]
TeleFunk TeleFunk

« Wicked sound for a starter set »

Published on 04/25/14 at 03:05
Made in Mexico, with volume, tone & pickup selectors (between the neck, bridge, or both), 22 frets

All the way back in November of 2005, I decided I wanted to learn to play the electric guitar and wanted something good to start with that was one step above the cheapest (i.e. above the Squier series back then, which is crazy because now Squier actually makes some great-sounding starter guitars...)

My friend (who's a fantastic guitarist) would pick up the guitars and play them and I would judge them by sound. I had this predetermined goal of getting a Strat à la David Gilmour, but when he compared the mexican-made strat with the comparatively affordable mexican standard tele, there was no question the Tele had better sound.

It had that typical Tele-twang, but sounded fantastic both in clean and distorted settings. Additionally, this is one of the most playable/user-friendly guitars I've ever touched in the 9 years since...People will call me crazy but I prefer the touch, feel and playability (and price ;) ) of this guitar to my buddy's Les Paul....

And after all these years, apart from a few bumps and scratches, the axe still sounds true, holding its tuning as well as a dear place in my heart

Ive used it with Line 6 spider IVs, the tiny terror, and some others I can't even remember.

It's very playable and sounds great clean, crunchy or distorted, but as I love playing melodically, choosing the right notes, and am by no means a shredder, I love keeping it simple and playing on a clean fender amp with a bit of reverb and just letting the guitar speak for itself!

*I will say* At times, the twanginess is too much for me (obviously not as sonically pleasing compared to this tele's more expensive big brothers...)

At the time, I bought this at Guitar Center in southern California when the MSRP was $499 but the actual retail price was $349. For that price, I find this guitar unbeatable, and was not only a good starter guitar, but worthy of playing a few gigs in the years that followed the original purchase.

Honestly, the only con (at least for my playing style and preference) is it's a little too twangy. That's it.

I don't regret buying this as my first guitar EVER. The only guitar to my knowledge that I believe to be a better value and has a fantastic sound (albeit with a flimsier structure) is the Squier Jazzmaster (the only problem is it shows the damn 'squier' logo on the neck instead of the iconic 'fender telecaster' :) )