Blackstar Amplification Artisan 30
Blackstar Amplification Artisan 30
Pucelle_Dabidjan Pucelle_Dabidjan
Published on 12/03/08 at 04:05
30-watt all-tube amp with four EL84 power tubes and a switch for 10-watt class-A operation.

Clean and crunch channels with separate EQ sections.

Good finish, sturdy amp.

(6) Two channels and one footswitch. It's not a revolutionary product but it provides virtually everything you need. I only miss an FX loop.

USE

You'll have to spend enough time with this amp to get to know it. Its design is logical and the 10-watt switch adds more versatility. But you can't use it in your apartment because it's very loud.
(6) Good amp.

SOUND

No, this amp didn't match my music style. But I found the sound interesting. The amp sounds a bit like a fuzz and it reminds me of the 1959 SLP, but with a clearer tone. Less muddy. The high frequency range is dry and sharp so the amp could be a great tool for funk guitarists. The clean sound had several colors, either thin and open or very warm and open. I used it all the time in class A mode, I didn't test class AB. So I haven't tried out all possibilities! The gain was too low but the amp faithfully reproduced the guitar's character.

(6) It doesn't match my taste, but it's certainly great for other people.

(4) I tested it at a shop. This amp has been rarely reviewed in the press. My opinion is based on my first impression. The amp was set to class A operation and I couldn't turn up the volume as high as I wanted (the amp would've sounded different). So take my review with a pinch of salt. I think it's a bit too expensive.