A piano for Kontakt based on convolution
Sound Dust introduced Plastic Ghost Piano, a new hybrid piano sample library for Kontakt that uses convolution.
Plastic Ghost Piano features 6 instruments (patches) that use samples of different pianos as well as a guitar:
- The Plastic Piano is a multisampled piano patch made from a Technics WSA1 modeling keyboard. Each individual sampled note was then loaded into a convolution reverb plug-in and blasted with varying levels of controlled white noise. The output was then recorded and remapped as a 6-velocity layer multisample.
- The White Piano is a 4 velocity multisample of a Hohner Pianet T electric piano.
- The Pale Ghost is made from recordings of a broken upright piano convolved in the same way as the Plastic piano. There are 23 layers of velocity but using the Time Machine engine of Kontakt these layers are stretched over the entire keyboard range (co to c7) in order to add artifacts to the sound.
- The Dark Ghost works in a similar way to the Pale Ghost but with a different set of broken piano samples and 2 sets of 10 velocity layers.
- The Rubber Piano is a multisampled palm muted Fender Stratocaster recorded through a valve combo. It is there to add a slight percussive element to the sound if needed.
- The release layer is another convolved piano and acts as an adjustable note off thump.
Plastic Ghost also features a Ghost engine with an algorithmic reverb and an Noise engine with distortion and filtering, as well as 69 impulse responses from real spaces, hardware and oddities (Roland Space Echo, Lexicon Reverb or the stage of the Glyndebourne Opera House), a Leslie rotary speaker simulation, a cab simulation and a morphing EQ. You can also adjust the start time of the samples.
Sound Dust also gives you the ability to automate all the controls, manage the round robins and the MIDI time jitter.
The 549MB library requires the full version of Kontakt 4 or 5. It is available for the introductory price of £20 instead of £25 until October 18th if you use coupon code paleghost. You’ll find more info at dulcitone1884.virb.com/plastic-ghost-piano.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Xfer Records introduces Serum Serum, the new virtual instruments from Xfer Records, is a wavetable synth for Mac and PC.
- Wizdom Music launched the Jordantron Jordantron, Jordan Rudess’ Wizdom Music new instrument for iPad, gives you access to the artist’s sound library.
- Musicalentropy updates Guitar Gadgets Guitar Gadgets, Musicalentropy’s contribution to the KVR Development Challenge 2014, has been updated with new features.