or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 18i8 Headphone Outputs

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Scarlett 18i8 Headphone Outputs
I have the 18i8 and I just ordered a pair of AKG K712 headphones (64 ohms impedance). I'm wondering if the headphone amps/circuits in the 18i8 will drive these headphones to sufficient levels for monitoring/mixing purposes. Does anyone out there have any experience with any of the AKG K7xx headphones and the Scarlett 18i8?

Thanks in advance for any info/advise anyone has to offer.

[ Post last edited on 06/28/2015 at 06:26:02 ]

Hi Old Fart (great name, btw :bravo:),

I don't have experience with the Scarlett 18i8, but I do mix with my K702s using a TC Electronic Impact Twin. I don't believe the headphone circuitry is drastically different between the Impact Twin and Scarlett 18i8, and I've never had any issues regarding insufficient levels for monitoring/mixing.

Took a look around and also found the following quote on this review of the 18i8:

Quote:
The headphone outputs are, of course,
unbalanced, and can drive 130 milliwatts into 60Ω headphones, which seems to
be the impedance for which they’re optimized. The headphone amplifier can
drive a load as low as 15Ω but with a low impedance load it starts clipping at
around 90 mW. Either way, the headphone feed should be reasonably loud
unless you’re the drummer (or you’ve stood too close to one for too long). I had
no problem getting adequate volume with my Sony 7506 phones, which are
around 60 ohms.

So for all intents and purposes, I think you're good to go :D:
Hi CaliMoose (an even better name than Old Fart! :mdr: ),

Thanks SO MUCH for the review info on and link to the 18i8. That's exactly the kind of info, relevant to the headphone circuits in the 18i8, I've been looking for. I THOUGHT I'd read every review out there and found nothing more than, '... provides two headphone jacks with separate level controls ...'

I stand corrected. I WISH Focusrite (and other makers of digital interfaces) would save everyone the time and just PRINT the specs for the headphone circuits on the spec sheets. I mean, how difficult could that possibly be?!

Coincidentally, the impedance of the Sony 7506 headphones (referenced in the review) is 63 Ohms. The AKG K712 and K702, which I just looked up on the AKG website, is 62 Ohms. I got that wrong in my original post (I thought it was 64 Ohms). What can I say ... I'm just an Old Fart.

The info you provided really makes my day! I was about to order (at a cost of between $200-$300!) a headphone amp/DAC to interface to the coaxial output on the back of the 18i8, which already provides a 24-bit/96Khz data stream. Now I don't have to!

I may still get a headphone amp (tube driven), just to use for listening to music with the K712 cans. By the way, how do you like your K702 headphones? My son has the K701 and K240. He actually prefers the K240 over the K701. I've only listened to the K712 once (briefly), but was blown away. Nice cans and they're supposed to be delivered tomorrow (Friday!). Can't wait!

Thanks again for the info, and have a great day!
I actually got the K702s at the behest of my friends and editors of Audiofanzine in french. A few of the writers did a mega headphone comparison test which I used to make my decision. While their top 5s varied, it seemed the K702s got rave reviews from all of them. And keep in mind, these dudes are french, which means they're almost NEVER pleased! :mdr:

Admittedly, I'm by no means a mixing expert like our writers, but as I don't have room for monitors I really wanted the next best thing in the form of headphones. In that regard, I couldn't be more pleased with the K702s, especially since at the time of the writing they cost over 500 bucks, but I found them for a dime over 200 on amazon :lol:

I used them to listen to various songs, and the best way I can explain it is this: on an apple computer, there's a functionality called "mission control", where all of the applications and programs that you have opened are organized and laid out in front of you for easy access. That's how the K702s feel when I listen to songs. Before, I would listen to music and hear the song. Now, with these cans, I slap them on and suddenly it shows where the horns, drums, guitar, vocals, etc sit in the mix, how loudly, how they're panned, what kind of reverb or delay they're using, etc. In a word: badass!

For 500, these headphones are a bargain compared to monitors. For 200, they were a steal!
Cool. Thanks for the links. I haven't listened to the K702 yet, although I've read a LOT of reviews on the K702 65th Anniversary Edition (discontinued), which is typically what the K712 is compared to. That said, the K712 is considered a better set of cans than the K702 (standard and 'Annie'), which is why I ordered them. My son is thinking about selling his K701 cans and getting the K712. He tells me the K701 is just too 'analytical,' in terms of their TOO flat frequency response. He describes the bass response as 'lifeless,' which from what I've read is a fairly accurate description. I'm going to send him mine in a couple of weeks, just so he can try them out and make an accurate 'A->B' comparison.

Have you tried the 'bass port mod' on your K702? What about the 'Annie' memory foam ear pads? They (the ear pads) are slightly different than the K712 pads, which are deeper, but they still bring out (or up) the bass much better (more articulate and with better 'punch'). They're infinitely more comfortable than the stock K702 ear pads too, from what I've read. Since the K702 'Annie' has been discontinued, I have to wonder if the earpads are still available. Might be worth looking into. Then there's the headband mod to consider too, if those 'bumps' on the stock headband bug you. I guess people are either okay with them or they HATE them. Personally, I prefer a 'bump free' headband.

I've read a lot about the 'bass port mod,' which apparently also applies to the K701. My son tried the bass port mod on his K701, although he told me that he reversed it (he just didn't care for it, I guess). I've read a LOT of favorable reviews on that mod though, and those folks who do like it, swear by it.

I really like your analogy of the Mac 'Mission Control' app, and the way your K702 cans lay out all the instruments and vocals. That's what separates so-so headphones from the best; their ability to recreate the spacial relationships between all the artists and their instruments/voices. The first time you hear that '3D thing' in a GOOD set of headphones, it really is jaw-dropping. I get that with my 7.2 home theater system too, and it never ceases to amaze me.

I know what you mean about the French. They hate EVERYTHING ... including the French! :oo: