Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting

• 42 replies
  • 27 participants
  • 27 followers
1 Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting
Hey,

This problem has been doing my head in for a year now and now that I work as a professional I just have to get this fixed:

System:

Windows 8.1 64bit,
Scarlett 2i2 (Drivers 3.1.10) with Behringer Truth monitors plugged

What happens is that I hear a loud pop from my speakers followed by my 1 & 2 input knob lights flashing. Also when this happens the device briefly disappears from my Windows audio devices menu for a short while. The problem is inconsistent and can happen 1-10 times in a minute, once in an hour or I can go a day without it happening.

Also 1 problem I'd appreciate if someone can answer: On Pro Tools 11 when I choose Scarlett to use ASIO4ALL drivers it crashes Pro Tools. What gives?

Cheers for any help!

EDIT: It's now clear that the Ethernet cable is the cause. However I don't know how to solve this

[ Post last edited on 01/28/2015 at 02:43:56 ]

Hi,

Firstly, I'd ensure that Windows 8 is optimised for audio:

https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/optimising-your-pc-for-audio-on-windows-8

https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/why-is-my-audio-slowed-down-in-windows-8-when-the-computer-starts

Have you tried another USB port? Some are internally hubbed and can cause issues. Please try each one and monitor the performance of the interface.

Please ensure you have disabled power saving mode for USB devices:

In the device manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section, right click each USB Root Hub, choose Properties > Power Management and untick the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.

USB Power

If using a Laptop, it could also be worth checking the general power management of your computer:
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
Set the Power Scheme to High Performance (if this setting is not available, click on Show additional plans first). Then click on Change plan settings. On the next page set both Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep to Never.

Power Options

Then click Change advanced power settings. In the window that opens make sure you have the following settings:
Hard disc > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Sleep > Sleep after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting = Disabled
Display > Turn off display after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Processor power management > Minimum processor state > Setting = 100%
Processor power management > Maximum processor state > Setting = 100%

Please note, not all options may be available.

It could also be worth checking for any available USB/Chipset driver updates for your motherboard.

The Scarlett device is not designed to run with ASIO4All, we would recommend using the Scarlett USB driver with PT11.
Please can you let me know if your computer is running an Intel or AMD chipset?

With regards to your Ethernet cable, you may need to ensure that you have the latest upto date drivers for the ethernet/network card from the manufacturer.

Please let me know how you get on

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Hi,

Since last time I have replaced my ethernet cable, switched to windows 7 OS and switched to using USB2 for the Scarlett 2i2. My computer is running with intel chipset. I installed the newest chipset drivers.

The problem persists but has become less frequent
Good morning,

I would still ensure that you have looked at some optimisation for Windows 7 (https://uk.focusrite.com/answerbase/optimising-your-pc-for-audio-on-windows-7). The above USB power management steps should also still be looked at if you haven't already.
You mentioned you've moved to USB2 port, is this after trying and experience the same issues across all the USB ports on your computer?

You mention you changed the ethernet cable, however have you tried disabling the ethernet adapter in your device manager to see if this full stops the issues happening? If it does, you may need to look at ensuring that its drivers are fully upto date.

Please let me know how you get on.

Best regards
Simon
I just purchased the Scarlett 2i4 and I am having this same exact problem of popping and disconnecting from my computer.

After only 2 weeks of owning the unit, it is driving me insane trying to figure out if it's the Scarlett, my speakers, my DAW software, usb cable, etc... So thank you for posting the suggestions on the USB power management. I never thought of that.

I've now set my power management to high performance, told it to never turn off my display and disabled the USB from selective power saving. I'm hoping this works. I'll keep an eye on it and get back to this forum with my results within a few days. Cheers!
I think you have the same problem I have .
https://en.audiofanzine.com/focusrite/forums/t.9193,focusrite-scarlett-sound-card-techniqual-driver-problem.html

Please hear the examples . Do have sound like them ?
Quote from LinkinForEver:
I think you have the same problem I have .
https://en.audiofanzine.com/focusrite/forums/t.9193,focusrite-scarlett-sound-card-techniqual-driver-problem.html

Please hear the examples . Do have sound like them ?

No. My problems are exactly a popping and disconnecting from the computer. I also sometimes get mono sound coming from the speakers instead of stereo, which seems to be a problem with the Scarlett. I assume that because the speakers (I'm using Alesis M1Active 320 speakers) never did this prior to the Scarlett being hooked up. It mysteriously corrects itself if I shut the application down and restart... which is odd too. I can't help wondering if my unit is defective and if I should return while I am still within the 30 days return/exchange period.
Hi guys,

A Scarlett randomly running is also very strange, does this occur when using programs such as iTunes/Spotify/Youtube etc?

Do the same disconnection issues occur if you use the Scarletts with another computer and/or with a different USB cable? (as short as possible).
If so, then the issue may well be hardware and you will need to contact the retailer (if in the UK or Canada) or the local distributor in order to discuss a repair/replacement:

https://uk.focusrite.com/stores/distributors

Please do let me know how you get on, if you would like to contact us more directly for troubleshooting, please do so here:

http://focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Hi Simon. I took my unit back and exchanged it for another one. Unfortunately, the popping noise is still happening. I've narrowed it down to it popping when I open or close applications. For example, when I am using my DAW (Reaper), and if I close Reaper it will pop and the dials flash. Then, when I open a web browser and go to YouTube to watch a video, it will pop and flash -- maybe because they are using adobe flash in their streaming? Anyway, that's when it seems to happen. Advice? I also sent you a support request.

I am running Windows 8.1 on an Asus laptop with an AMD A10 processor.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

[ Post last edited on 05/05/2015 at 19:37:19 ]

Thanks for the reply.
Please can you confirm that Windows has assigned the 2.5.1 driver? This is the driver you'll need on your AMD machine.
The closing of Reaper causing some pops may be because the program is letting the driver go, however this should not happen when opening programs such as a web browser. Presumably this is happening across all of your USB ports?
You will receive an email back from your case logged with us soon, this will include further troubleshooting to undertake.