Create an account

or

Thread Need help or advice on my new mix

• 10 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Need help or advice on my new mix
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum and hope I get some help on my mix. I would really appreciate anybody of you listening to my mix and tell me if there are any severe mix-mistakes. Especially the vocals and bass guitar where I had the most problems. Some of the people whome I introduced the mix said the vocals were to loud, some said it was just right. I feel insecure about that now and think it would be nice to hear some pro- advices.

The link is http://www.callasong.de/mp3/30147/Desperation2004.mp3

sorry for my poor english and thanks in advance

Mark
Mark-

Love the tune!! Very nice. Not a bad mix, but I did notice a couple of things:

At first I thought the lead vocal was too soft. It may be, a little bit. But the main problem is not so much that it's not loud enough, it's that it's not present enough. When you do a mix, every instrument and vocal track has to have a space of it's own, both in the stereo field AND within the frequency spectrum. Your stereo field doesn't seem real wide- the vocals feel squeezed in the middle.

Male vocals and acoustic guitar occupy very similar frequency ranges. If you spread the guitars out a little, it will give you a little more space in the stereo field for the lead vocal. If you roll off some of the lows in the vocals and may be put in a slight boost around 1-2khz, and mabe a little boost around 6-8khz, you'll get a little more presence in the vocal. This will help keep it from competing for space with the guitars. Then you can decide whether they need to be louder or not.

For the bass- did you record it direct? It's pretty clean sounding, but it has no "butt" to it. It's got no punch. I'd try some compression, and I'd try some eq. The midrange bass frequencies that are emphasized in the track are competing with the low end of the guitars too much, and so they don't stand out. There's not enough low end on the bass. Before you go with EQ, though, try some compression. Say, maybe a 3 or 4:1 ratio starting around -15 or-20 db threshold, medium attack and release, makeup gain to get the volume in line. Sometimes even a touch of distortion or overdrive will help warm and fatten a bass track up.

The tune is great though, and playing is very good. Hope the other suggestions help!! :D
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Hi Mike,

thanks so much for your suggestions. I made the mix under "provisorial conditions" that means in my living room where all the recording was done. My speakers are the Alesis MKII active and mix was done entirely with nuendo and freeware plugins (e.g. SIR1.005 )

Because of the room problems and resulting acoustic problems with my speakers (I normaly mix in an other room where the spekers sound completly different) especially in the bass and mid range I needed some advice and I rally really appriciate your help.

As soon as I have done my homework I will let you know. If anybody else has any suggestions, I would be greatfull to read them.

thanks

Mark :P :P
If you need a free (almost) compressor plugin, check out FASoft.com

I think their compressor plugin is like $20.
thanks! :P
Go Here for a great free dual band stereo compressor (FREE)

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=3

Terry...
thanks a lot bushman!! ;)
Hi everybody!

I`ve made an update:

http://www.callasong.de/mp3/30147/Desperation_2004_final.mp3

what do you think?

greats

Mark
wow man!!
that literally sounds 100 times better.
thats a great tune dude, good luch in the future.

LAter,
Bones
Sounds a lot better, Mark. Very nice. I really love the tune. I like your style. Tasty, understated chops. Great vocals, too. Good job!!! 8)