or
Create an account

or

Thread Eurorack vs. Firepod, which is a better deal??

• 7 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Eurorack vs. Firepod, which is a better deal??
I was recently looking at different mixers and their prices when a music store owner suggested I buy a Firepod. He showed me one for $800 with 8 channels. I also looked at a Berhinger Eurorack with 8 mic channels for only $249. What is the difference between these two peices of hardware? and which would you say is a better deal? it seems to me like the Eurorack is the better deal, but I don't know much about these things.
alright, thanks a lot for all your help. i think i'm going to go with your suggestion and save up for the Fostex, since buying a computer would just be too much at the moment.
thanks again for all your help.

%1$s a écrit ok, i think i'm getting it (sorry i'm a really slow learner, lol).
i still have a few questions:
1. just to clarify, if i want to do live recording, i essentially only need a mixer and if i wanna lay down seperate tracks i need the firepod AND the mixer? another question about this actually; the firepod has multiple mic inputs, correct? why would you need all those mic inputs if your just gonna connect the mics into the mixer and then the mixer into the firepod?

Presumable you could use all eight inputs at once and record directly to your computer. I have never tried this since at most I only record with two mics at a time. After recording multiple tracks I use the computer to mix the tracks down to a stereo master. Now I also have a two channel analog compressor/limiter that takes the mic output from the firepod, compresses the signal and then returns the signal to the firepod for A/D conversion. This keeps the input from clipping. Clipping in a digital recording is just terrible.

%1$s a écrit 2. what exactly is a mic preamp?

The output of most mics is just too weak for direct A/D conversion so you use a very high quality amplifier from the mic to the A/D circuits. The most common mics such as Shure 57 and 58s are so called dynamic mics which are just speakers working backwards. Most high quality recording mics are so called condenser mics and they require power to work commonly about 48volts. The firepod supplies 48v to the mics in two switched banks of four. The large condenser mikes are generally better for voice like Rhode NT1a. The small condenser mikes are generally better for insturments like a set of Rhode NT5s. You want the power off when you connect these guys. Some "field" condenser mikes have a built battery and are thereby "self powered."

%1$s a écrit Well for live recording I just record straight to CD with a rack with a presonus MP20 and a Tascam CD deck.
i looked up the presonus MP20 and i'm still not sure what its purpose is.

The MP20 is very special rack mounted two channel powered stereo preamp for two mics. What is strange is that it has a built in mixing bus for stereo recording. I use it to record live band concerts and the like in stereo. The built in mixing bus lets me pan the output from each mic so that say the left mic goes 25% to the right channel and 75% to the left channel. OR I can use mics in a "mono" setup in which I pan each mic 50% left and 50% right.

%1$s a écrit 3. also referring back to the quote, how do you plug in all your mics if you just have the presonus MP20 and the Tascam CD deck? or is that the answer to the previous question?

If I had to record with multiple mics in the field I would just add an analog mixer and mix down the inputs to two stereo channels. Mixing for live performances is a totally more difficult subject. I am learning now to run a 24 channel mixer in mono mode that mixes down to four mono master channels (male voice, female voice, instruments and drums) that mix down to two channels for live performances with a send and return for effects and monitor mixes for the performers! AAAAARG.

%1$s a écrit 4. for the Fostex VF160EX which was suggested; does that have 8 mic inputs? and if it doesn't, is there a way to plug mics into line inputs that i don't know about or do you need mic inputs?

The Fostex is basically a way to record to CD without a dedicated computer. It is an all in one whiz band dealy that has eight mic inputs and lets you record digitally to a hard drive and then burn the song to CD. I have never used one of these guys.

%1$s a écrit 5. what do you suggest in terms of software? i'm a begginer (as you well know, lol), so what would you suggest for my level, for recording live.
these are all the questions i have for now, thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it.

Well I just know how to use Garage Band on the Mac. The firepod comes with Cubase LE but i have not tried it.

Have fun!
ok, i think i'm getting it (sorry i'm a really slow learner, lol).
i still have a few questions:
1. just to clarify, if i want to do live recording, i essentially only need a mixer and if i wanna lay down seperate tracks i need the firepod AND the mixer? another question about this actually; the firepod has multiple mic inputs, correct? why would you need all those mic inputs if your just gonna connect the mics into the mixer and then the mixer into the firepod?
2. what exactly is a mic preamp?

%1$s a écrit Well for live recording I just record straight to CD with a rack with a presonus MP20 and a Tascam CD deck.

i looked up the presonus MP20 and i'm still not sure what its purpose is.
3. also referring back to the quote, how do you plug in all your mics if you just have the presonus MP20 and the Tascam CD deck? or is that the answer to the previous question?
4. for the Fostex VF160EX which was suggested; does that have 8 mic inputs? and if it doesn't, is there a way to plug mics into line inputs that i don't know about or do you need mic inputs?
5. what do you suggest in terms of software? i'm a begginer (as you well know, lol), so what would you suggest for my level, for recording live.
these are all the questions i have for now, thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it.
I think you're confusing the preamp/signal routing device (mixer) with the device that takes the analog signal and converts it to digital for computer recording (soundcard).

The Firepod is basically a multiple input sound card, which you'd need for recording a band because you'd be able to record each instrument on it's own track(s). The Behringer is a mixer, which has mic preamps, line inputs, and does signal routing and mixing.

To record a band effectively, you would need both. You would mic up the instruments and vocals, connect the mics to the mixer. The mains output of the mixer will be your monitor for listening as you play. Your mixer should have individual outputs on each channel (the Behringer may or may not depending onthe model). These will go to the Firepod so that each instrument and vocal mic can br recorded on it's own channel in the computer. You will need a fairly substantial computer to record 8 channels of audio at once. Once each channel is recorded, then you can use the computer software to make your mix and burn it to CD.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

%1$s a écrit well then what are the upsides and downsides with analog and digital? and if i wanted to record my band (guitar, bass, vocals, and drums) what would you suggest? i don't need it to sound amazing, but at least not something that makes people cringe if you know what i mean. and if i got the firepod with the firewire computer connectivity, would i still need to get a good sound card? or would i just have to plug it into the fire port and not worry about it?

Well for live recording I just record straight to CD with a rack with a presonus MP20 and a Tascam CD deck. For building a song I use a Firepod and Garage Band on a Mac so these are quite different. If you just want to record live and burn a CD this is the best selling recorder and CD burner: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/240269/?c_tid=topseller If you want to lay down separate tracks like drums, guitar, piano and vocal i would get a Mac with GarageBand and the Presonsus: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/184131/?c_tid=topseller All you need are mics, the presonus plugged into the firewire port and a mac. No need to even install a driver. No extra sound card.

Hope that helps.
well then what are the upsides and downsides with analog and digital? and if i wanted to record my band (guitar, bass, vocals, and drums) what would you suggest? i don't need it to sound amazing, but at least not something that makes people cringe if you know what i mean. and if i got the firepod with the firewire computer connectivity, would i still need to get a good sound card? or would i just have to plug it into the fire port and not worry about it?

%1$s a écrit I was recently looking at different mixers and their prices when a music store owner suggested I buy a Firepod. He showed me one for $800 with 8 channels. I also looked at a Berhinger Eurorack with 8 mic channels for only $249. What is the difference between these two peices of hardware? and which would you say is a better deal? it seems to me like the Eurorack is the better deal, but I don't know much about these things.

apples and oranges. One is an 8 channel preamp analog to digital converter with firewire computer connectivity. The other is an analog mixer with preamp.