or
Create an account

or

Thread delay settings for vocals

• 7 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 delay settings for vocals
Can someone tell me how to add delay to a track but only have one part of the track effected? For instance say I want to put a long delay on a vocal track and only have the last word echo but the rest of the line stay normal. Is there a setting on the actual delay plug in or do you have to copy the last word to another track and patch the effect to that track?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
It depends on the software you are using. Most of my experience is with Cubase.
You could copy the track and edit out all the words you don't want, but that's not a very flexible solution. I recommend you use automation in one of two ways:
1. Find a delay setting that suits your needs and then automate the Wet/Dry Mix slider - increase the "wettness" when you hit the spot you need the delay and pull it back after that point passes. But, this method won't isolate the delay from the next word on the track being repeated (pulling out the mix to avoid the next word could prematurely kill the feedback for the word you are shooting for).
2. Set up an Effects track that's fed by your vocal track. Put your delay on this track with 100% wet mix (nothing but delay). Now automate the Input slider of the delay - feed the vocal to it when you need, and pull them out when you don't. By changing the delay's Input, you can close out the next words without cutting short the useful echo. You want the delay track at 100% wet mix because anything less adds to the dry track you already have, and this will influence the overall apparent loudness of the vocals (a real PITA during mixdown). This method also allows you to EQ the delay output separately.
Hope this helps...
Samo,
Don’t take this the wrong way but I disagree.
It has been my experience that actually copying the track and editing is much much easier. I think copying the track gives you much more control over the section you want the effect on. Say you want the volume lower, or want to add some different eq settings to make it stand out more, or anything. I just like to take advantage of the endless possibilities of computer recording.

Not trying to discredit you at all. just my opinion.
I'm glad that we agree on a high degree of control being a real goal, nihility0000. The effect capncark is looking for requires it.
[code]Say you want the volume lower, or want to add some different eq settings to make it stand out more, or anything.[/code]
I have minimal experience with software other than Cubase, so maybe my method wouldn't work similarly in another program. When you create an FX track in Cubase, it acts like a bus send on a mixer. The original vocal track maintains its slider, EQ, pan, etc. with a full independent channel for just the effect's output. Too loud - pull the vocal back, which also reduces the level fed to the effect. EQ'ing - separate control over both the vocal track and the effect's output.
As far as copying and editing, I'd personally rather record the automation of a slider than cut and paste a waveform, but that's me.
i understand where you are coming from. i have experimented with the effect sub method and it works just great. i guess its just a matter of preference. whatever works for you and your software. i use sonar 3.0 now but for a long time i used acid 4.0 and i guess thats where all of the copying and pasting comes into play.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think if those are my only 2 options then I have to stick with my method. Good Ol' drag and drop and splittin' clips.Less precision work...and a world of options! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I have to do this very often. In Cool Edit Pro 2, I just switch to edit mode and highlight the section to be effected, add effect and presto. Only the selected portion has the effect applied to it, then switch back to Multitrack mode.

Hope this helps,

Joe
If your software has automation, learn it, and use it.
If not, then and you'r mixing outside the box, do it manually.
If not, and you're mixing in the box, you may have to create an additional track as mentioned earlier.

Make sure that your levels and track settings are idential for each track.