Taylor GA3-12

All user reviews for the Taylor GA3-12

12 String Guitar from Taylor belonging to the Acoustic 3 series.

• moosersmoosers

Taylor GA3-12Published on 11/30/10 at 19:25
    The Taylor GA3-12 is a 12 string acoustic guitar, made in the good old US of A. It's strictly an acoustic, meaning there are no electronics on this guitar. I don't know exactly what kinds of materials the guitar is made out of, but when you're dealing with a Taylor you know you're getting the finest parts and woods available. The guitar has about 21 frets as well...

The Taylor GA3-12 wasn't as easy to play as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, but no means is a difficult 12 string to play, but for the price I was expecting something a lot smoother. When compared to most 12 string guitars it plays quite well, but I've definitely played some cheaper 12 strings that I thought were easier to play. Maybe it was the set up on this particular guitar.

The sound of the Taylor GA3-12 is extremely bright. It's by no stretch of the imagination a bad sounding 12 string guitar, but for me I prefer a sound that's a bit more full bodied and a bit less tinny than this. Again, perhaps it was just this guitar or maybe the strings were new, but I was definitely expecting a bit more depth than what I heard from the GA3-12. In general Taylor guitars are bright, so as always it's a personal preference thing when you get to these higher end guitars.

While the Taylor GA3-12 is definitely a nice overall 12 string acoustic guitar, I think it's overpriced. For $1300 US dollars I was expecting something a lot more lush sounding and for it to play better than most other 12 strings that I've used before. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high, but considering that it's a Taylor and that it costs this steep price, I really don't think I'm asking all that much. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who will love this guitar, and I can't argue with personal preference, but for me I know I could find a 12 string that I like better than this for half the price or less. At least do yourself the favor of doing some serious shopping around in lower and comparable price ranges before picking this guitar up.