Alesis M1 Active 620
Alesis M1 Active 620

Active Monitor from Alesis belonging to the M1 series.

afterglow479 afterglow479
Publié le 09/27/08 à 10:17
I got these monitors for a reference pair for my synth/programming station. I just wanted a second pair of passable speakers to check sounds over, so I was looking for a good bargain with at least pretty good sound. I arrived at these speakers, and was a bit disappointed. They're active speakers, so they don't need an external amp.

The frequency response of these things sounds very bass light, and upper mid and high heavy. The result is a pretty unnatural and harsh sound overall. I definitely didn't like the sound of these monitors. The stereo image is okay - it really should be with so much upper mid hyping. The bass is definitely lacking, you can really hear some 150hz mud pumping along but there's no real substance. The dynamics also seem a little bit slow, it sounds like they are smearing a little bit. Overall these monitors just sound kind of cheap, which I guess they are.

I had these for a period of a few months before I sold them off and replaced them for a different set of bargain speakers. I have used a lot of different types of monitors. I mostly just got them for the cheap price, the convenience of their being active monitors, and their smaller size so they'd fit well in the slightly cramped working area that is my synth station. I would say these are an okay value, but I will tell you that you can get better for the same price if you look to other manufacturers. They do look pretty nice with their stylish white folded-back area, but looks aren't everything. I wouldn't get these again - the sound quality is just not really up to par and I didn't enjoy listening to them. Skip these - check out some other speakers in this price range.