Ampeg B-15R

All user reviews for the Ampeg B-15R

Bass Guitar Combo Amp from Ampeg belonging to the B series.

• MGR/Blues BottomMGR/Blues Bottom

Ampeg B-15R

Ampeg B-15RPublished on 03/16/04 at 15:00
    I have always wanted aN Ampeg "Flip top" bass amp since I first saw one in the 1960's. When I saw Ampeg's Reissue of the B-15, I bought one. It was just over $1400 and I eventuall added a B-15E extension cabinet for another $550, but nothing looks like it and it does have excellent tone and that vintage vibe!

This is a well built amp with built in biasing for 6l6 ot EL34 output tubes. Both cabinets come with detachable dollies and that is good as this amp is heavy. Output power is switchable between 60 and 100 watts. I recommend two cabinets and one is not loud enough to cut through. Two will do it, but this is not a loud as modern multiple-100 watt amps. Tone is very warm and deep. Each cabinet has a 15" woofer and a horn tweeter that is adjustable. It can sound very bright and modern with the tweeters on, but I turned them off as i wanted that warm, deep, full bass tone from the 60's. I still think it is the coolest looking bass amp out there and it does sound very, very good.

It is limited by it's relatively low power of only 100 watts.

This is a well built amp with heavy, solid construction. The chrome is deep, the metal finished perfectly and the blue tolex flawless. The grill cloth was good, but not perfect. I would rate the build quality at 98%.

This is a unique bass amp, full of vintage vibe and tone. You may have to "mike it" for use in a big venue, but for a smaller club and for Blues and Oldies it is the way to go. The dollies help make it transportable, and it is the coolest looking bass amp currently available.