Waves API 2500 Stereo compressor
Waves API 2500 Stereo compressor

Software compressor from Waves belonging to the API series.

Hatsubai Hatsubai

« Great stereo compressor »

Published on 06/15/11 at 20:42
The API 2500 is a stereo compressor that Waves has created. It does all kinds of awesome stuff depending on what you're looking for. For one, it's a stereo compressor. Most vintage compressors are mono, but this can either be used as dual mono or true stereo. That alone can help create some awesome mixes. There are tons of different options in this that might be a bit over the head of someone who has never used a compressor like this before. On top of just having the basic compressor controls, there are also tone controls. These tone controls allow you to adjust the knee, thrust and style of the overall compressor.

This is a more versatile compressor, and I like using this on the overall mix. It works great on the master buss, and it can really start to pump up a mix.

Waves plugins are some of the best out there, bar none. For one, they're cross platform. For a Mac user, that means the world. I'm always trying to support companies that support Mac, and Waves has been pretty good about that since the whole Intel switch. I've used these in Logic without any problems. Although they're 32 bit plugins, Logic will add a bridge to allow you to use them in a 64 bit environment as to not limit you to the amount of ram you can utilize. On top of that, these things are rock solid. I've never had a crash with Waves plugins at all.

This is one of my most used compressors when dealing with the more classic rock and hard rock music. I especially like using it on the master buss, but it can work great for pumping guitars and drums, too. I don't really use it on vocals, but I'm thinking I should probably give it a go. If you ever get the chance to check out this plugin, give it a run and see how it works out for you. Waves offers so many different plugins because they all have their own unique character. It's all about choosing what's right for that particular mix.