Lexicon PCM 41
Lexicon PCM 41

Delay / Echo from Lexicon belonging to the PCM series.

Published on 03/13/09 at 11:55
The Lexicon PCM 41 is a digital delay effects processor that is rackable and will take up a single rack space unit. Since I use this at a studio that has it premounted, I'm not 100% sure what kinds of connections it has, but I'm pretty sure it has both 1/4 inch and XLR inputs and outputs.

The general configuration of the Lexicon PCM 41 is easy to follow, even though there is a lot that this unit can do. It is easy to set a basic delay tone, and there is a great deal of experimentation that can be done because of all the parameters it has. It is split up into a few different sections to control certain areas of the sound, which makes it easy to get the sound you are after. I don't have a manual for this, but it is easy enough to use that you don't really need it.

The sound quality of the Lexicon PCM 41 is definitely above average and the effects are not only usable, but quite effective. You can get a number of cool sounds from this and is great for use with just about any instrument or sound you'd like to use delay with. I have found it sounds great with guitars and back up vocals, but these aren't the only things it will work with. You can do a lot of cool things with this unit and is up to the quality I have come to expect from Lexicon.

I've been using the Lexicon PCM 41 digital delay processor for about two years and I've found it to be a great sounding unit. However, the sound quality doesn't blow me away, it just sound good and usable. Because of this reason, I tend to shy away from using this unit all the time unless I am looking for a specific sound because I can get comparable sounds much easier with a plug-in. If you can find one of these used, they aren't too expensive, but unless you are a big fan of outboard delays and are looking for a new flavor, I would try this out to see if its for you.