Behringer XR18
Behringer XR18

Digital Mixer from Behringer belonging to the X AIR series.

rlh100 rlh100

« $500 18 track digital recorder »

Published on 11/17/18 at 16:52
Audience: Anyone
I am a videographer shooting 4 camera shoots of live house concert performances. I have always wanted a multi-track recorder. The Behringer XR18 combined with a laptop makes a great inexpensive 18 track digital recorder. I have combined this with a pair of ART S8 passive microphone splitter so I can drop it between stage mics and the PA snake and record all the channels. With careful buying I assembled this including 2 x 16 channels of snake for about $1,000 total.

The mixer itself sounds great and provides lots of audio processing power. Fully parametric EQ, compressor and noise gate on every channel. Four effects processors are good. The builtin WiFi is only so-so. I use an external WiFi router.

This biggest drawback is no control surface. You have to use a laptop or smartphone. I miss knobs I can grab to tweak the sound.

Is this a Soundcraft or Allen & Heath, no. But at $500 new on ebay it is a great deal. Lots of bang for the buck.