Guild D55
MGR/Frank MGR/Frank

« Guild D-55 »

Publié le 07/15/03 à 15:00
I've owned and sold four of these since 1974. The first one cost me $750 and was purchased in Studio City CA. The last one cost $1800.

In a word, everything. I won't repeat the other reviewer's comments because they're all accurate, but I do have one qualification to add.

Up until the late-1970's Guild produced some of their D-55s (not all) using pre-CITES, Bahia-region Brazilian rosewood. This is the "inky-black spider vein" wood that was eventually logged out of existence in Brazil. These D-55s had bass, sustain and harmonics that were just short of supernatural. In comparison, the current Indian rosewood D-55s are still excellent, but nowhere near the same.

I have fairly big fingers so I would have preferred a slightly wider nut, but I've adjusted to it over the years.

What can be said? It's very close to perfect. Guild recently produced an anniversary edition of the D-55 (50 units) in Brazilian rosewood, and if I had $6000 to spend right now I'd definitely try and get one of them.

It's an outstanding guitar. Every time I come across a vintage D-55 I get this nauseous feeling in my gut. My first D-55 was made from Brazilian rosewood, and I was forced to sell it because of money problems just a few years after I bought it. As superficial as it sounds, that's probably the biggest regret of my entire life. I really loved that guitar.