Martin & Co D-35

« Martin D35 »

Published on 02/09/04 at 15:00
Nazareth Music Center
$1600

This is a truly full sounding guitar. Very strong bass but not boomy like some Tacomas I have played. Nice to look at and I really like the thin neck compared to some of my less expensive guitars. Notice I said thin not narrow. For example, my Washburn neck is thick and V shaped. It took some getting used to after many years of cheap guitars with necks like the Washburn. Now I love it and going back is hard.

Action was a bit high for my taste. I took it to my local shop and they did a great job to lower it. This was the shop that informed me about the neck, read below.

Guitar looks nice, great finish but it had a bad neck set and needed to go back to the factory for reset. Only a few months old. Not what I expected.

Nice guitar but I think Martin is cranking out instruments in too large a quantity for quality workmanship. Maybe that is not true with the higher priced units. A neck reset on a vitually new guitar shouldn't happen. I just purchased a lower end Breedlove to replace some of my cheap guitars. I was originally thinking about a Martin D16 but had a bad time with Maritn customer service involving my D35.