Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1
Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1

Drum Machine from Elektron belonging to the Machinedrum series.

MGR/Sr. M MGR/Sr. M

« Elektron Machinedrum »

Published on 01/22/04 at 15:00
Paid $1150US
Store: novamusik.com
As a Techno producer looking for futuristic, high-end percussion sounds, the Machinedrum, loaded with effects, filters, LFOs, a kick ass equalizer and even a compressor (not to mention the best sequencer I've had so far), offered all I was looking for.

1- If you can dream it, you can make it: From cold,electro type percussion, to warm, deep tribal sounds and everything in between (including some filtered pads, LFO'd bass lines and more), the possibilities are endless. You can say anything you want about your 909s, 808s, JoMox, whatever, I've played with them all... NOTHING compares to a Machinedrum as a stand alone unit.
2- Sequencer heaven: When I made the concious desicion to make electronic music using machines, rather than a computer, I decided everything I bought would have a sequencer of some sort. Having said that, the sequencer in the Machinedrum is my favorite. 16 tracks for either internal sounds, external gear, and any combination in between thanks to ingenious "midi machines" that convert tracks into controllers that go beyond simple note imput sequencing to controlling effects, filtering BY NOTE (up to 64 different parameters per note, if not mistaken).
3- Better built than Angelina Jolie.

My one little qualm with the machine is the distortion. It's not as crunchy as I would like (in general the sound of the Machinedrum is rather clean, and you can get dirtier stuff, but it would be nice if the distortion were a lot more..."distorting".
Other than that, I'm really the wrong person if you're looking for somebody to diss' this baby.

Like a Volvo.

If you are a freak for techno, percussion and verything cool, you are a fan of the Machinedrum . If my machinedrum were lost, I would cry and buy 2 more.