Westone QUANTUM
Zerothe(bass)hero Zerothe(bass)hero

«  It has everything a great ... and more! »

Publié le 03/23/11 à 01:17
This bass is a bass-Japanese edition stick that had their heyday in the 80ies. This one dates from 85-86.

The neck is a medium scale (82 inches) long enough to fret thin, not very wide (like JB?).

The attachment system is a string Steinberger copy of which authorizes the use of any type of strings. That's why I've gained, offering double-ball strings is very limited (no flat yarn)

2 humbuckers, vol / vol / tone (= JB)

Perfect if you look at what kind of bass, obviously.

The handle is a real highway, access to acute correct, but without good, there is bass, no ...

Ergonomics is nickel. Very very light, short handle, perfectly balanced.

To get a good sound, turn knobs.

I would add, moreover, that this bass can land on the ground without any artifice (foot support), his strange body is provided at the end of 2 straplocks which act as feet. In short, leaning against any wall, dragging her into the house ... Always ready, good friend, what ...

Lowlight: total absence of progressive volume knobs. So 9.

So here is where we're having fun.

I expected this low reedy sound equally slender but not by trying it at all ... It sends serious énorrrrmmmmme!
It's heavy, it's bold, it is serious on the neck pickup and we immediately want to play the good old lines Geezer Butler.
Even define the amount of the tone.

By adding the bridge pickup, and treble the sound is easily slappable, even if it is closer to slap that produces a PB. In addition, the 2 humbuckers and the small space between microphones make this little exercise I practice (and bad) difficult.

In short a bass one would expect to find under the elbow of Mark King, but that filing as a Thunderbird.

Rock bass, which sends much more than my Precision (Fender). Heavier, more serious ... with flat spun, it must be huge.

I acquired this bass my shoulders to relieve the Precision forties who blithely exceed 4 kg. For 89 euros, it was stashed in a corner of a cash-machine in a deplorable state. After a few deciliters of polish, lemon oil and some 1 / 4 hex towers, it seems more than 70 years. Just 25, and that's not bad.

At my age, I tried and owned many babasses (JB, PB, Peavey T40, Grindbass, BC Rich Warlock ...), I am still in possession of a good PB.

But this one left me on the ass. God she's ugly, but it sounds and is super convenient! The reputation of Matsumoku Japan is well established, it sends the wood.

If I find a second, I buy ... I am afraid that my PB is on the shelf for when I resume, I find the handle (although beautiful) and the enormous weight definitely unbearable. As for pricing, it is recognized that charges expensive Fender logo. But that is another story.

In short, if you drag your carcass for several years with a PB on the back for playing Rock, acquire this low while your physio do his office. Drag a few here & there.

Perfect for me. 10.