Echo Audiofire 4
Echo Audiofire 4

FireWire audio interface from Echo belonging to the Audiofire series.

victorlegros victorlegros

«  Perfect for a home studio quality »

Published on 10/19/12 at 16:58
I use this sound card since the end of 2009 (three years) with Logic Pro 9 on an iMac (mid-2009) and it is perfect for my needs (save one to two tracks at the same time).

I like =
- Ease of use, easy to configure
- Design quality aluminum which fits very well in an environment Apple
- Manufacture of quality
- Compact size (fits between the iMac screen and desk, very fine).
- FireWire hub for connecting an additional hard drive.
- The input jack / XLR in the same port on the front (two front). IN jacks behind two big plus.
- 2 stereo RCA outputs for two monitors or headphone amp.
- The headphone output on the front panel

I do not like:
- Uh. May be too compact, I would have preferred a big VU meters with frontage to the AKAI but this card is much better then it is on. Especially with the sound card software very easy access to the 4 input levels seen with a very precise electronic meter.
- Never understood what the purpose of the SPDIF.

Drivers very stable. Last year I met a lot of trouble with FireWire, the card or my hard drive was not recognized, but I do not know where it came from, it was no longer reproduced.

I use Logic Pro 9 with a condenser microphone RODE and another in Ultra Low Cost Woodbrass. Very good recording levels. The integrated software allows good management sections, coupling the inputs for true stereo sound.

ECHO has a little time to make the transition from driver to Lion but it fell during the holiday season ...

GETTING STARTED

Installs and integrates problem on Mac and Logic 9 ...
A manual? He stayed in the box ....

Incompatibility arose with the release of OSX Lion but soon overtaken by an update of drivers from ECHO.

Cables provided, this is good. Attention is the FireWire 400 adapter must be 400/800 for new Mac.

I advise no problem to whoever would save two tracks XLR microphone jack or two instruments. Personally, I do not make use of the two input jacks behind since we recorded our every turn.

I like the quality of the preamps and the sampling rate (nothing to do with the cards Alesis). I tested the iO2 a friend, the ECHO level is clearly above.
I do not really see anything to repprocher even looking good ...
It's worth typing straight into the € 270 for a good quality sound card. In fact I'm surprised what is so inexpensive compared to other brands dedicated Apple ...

I highly recommend it, I almost want to buy a second to dedicate to my MacBook.