Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP
hum4life hum4life

«  Good value »

Publié le 08/20/10 à 23:38
What characteristics have motivated your choice?

Need a card with digital inputs with optical and coaxial many routing options. I'm on PC, vista 32.
In fact the card is sturdy and looks good. Note that I did not test version or the DSP preamp.

Latency satisfactory, stable drivers in that they do not crash on my machine is on Vista yet. For cons, I had problems with clock synchronization. Can not remember my settings need to reset every time you open the software. So it's a bug of drivers that will be corrected may in the future. For cons, the advantage is that these parameters are accessible in the main screen of drivers so they can recover quickly without going through submenus.

GETTING STARTED

Installation is very simple and quick. The manual is quite clear. The routing options are numerous but not infinite and their logic is flawed. We are far from RME and MOTU unfortunately. If this is logical given the price difference, we say that this is only a problem of soft and that's unfortunate.

I used it one week and then restored. For two reasons:

- Problems with memory settings clocks
- Unable to route the digital outputs to the outputs of the card hand. In other words, not possible to manage the front listening level, for example, if your monitors are digital.

The converters are a notch below that MOTU and RME. The bass is less clear and compelling (well they do not drool over), treble slightly less accurate. But this is still excellent for the price.
In its price range, there is anyway no equivalent in the two trademarks at least not having usefulness of two digital inputs which case I prefer the motu ultralite remains more expensive maglré all.
I also had a TC Konnekt 24 which has always been unstable whatever versions of drivers. it seems that the twin impact encounter the same problems.

I therefore warmly recommend this card to all those who have a limited budget and want to benefit from wider opportunities while being aware that they will not benefit as much quality as MOTU and RME. Furthermore, it should be compared to its big sister the Saffire Pro 40, which for a few dollars more has more upscale converters (see specifications). The software remains the same with the same disadvantages.

Concerning the stability problems mentioned by some users, I would say that there is not as I turn on the OS market and more rotten than I have not had. on the other hand, there are still issues of compatibility of the chipset firewire whatever the machine and the fragility of any OS if the machine is too loaded or sized device. In short, all known computer problems independently.