Ibanez 59 Standard Fuzz
Ibanez 59 Standard Fuzz
mooseherman mooseherman

« Overrated vintage fuzz »

Publié le 05/11/10 à 12:08
This is a really old-school, classic fuzz pedal. There are only the 1/4" input and output, as well as the input for the power supply. It can also run on a 9V battery. This is a purely analog pedal, I'm pretty sure that was all that was available at the time. This cannot be MIDI-controlled, or edited on a computer, or put into a rack. It's simply a floor pedal.

The effects editing on this pedal is pretty basic for the most part. It's got levers, which is a nice change and is really easy to use when you are gigging. There is a balance pedal, which is great for adjusting the level of fuzz signal and clean signal. There is also a lever for fuzz depth, which controls the amount of fuzz. There is a footswitch for turning on the fuzz, as well as one for turning on the second tone, which eliminates most of the midrange.

I'm not sure why this pedal is considered a classic. It's cool for really dirty rhythm sounds, but they aren't the kind that I"m really looking for. The regular tone is definitely cooler than the other one, the midrange really dominates the tone and keeps rhythm sounds rocking. However, I can never get a lead sound that I like out of it. I also really don't like the second tone, with no midrange this pedal sounds bad. I'm not a fan of it overall, but I guess some people out there might like it.

I think that this is an ok, but mostly overrated pedal. I guess I was hoping for something really great, since it had such a good reputation. I'd say check it out if you're interested, but don't expect much if you're looking for clarity or something awesome. You're also likely to pay much more than this pedal is actually worth.