or
Create an account

or

Thread hi guys im new to electric

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Topic hi guys im new to electric
Hello, I've been playing acoustic guitar for 6 months now and my teacher lent me his electric to get the feel for it (no amp). He also said I could hook it up to the computer and hear it through my speakers. Also that there are guitar emulators that allow to give the electric some effects and distortion. I found some topics on recording on the computer but what do I have to do to just hear the sound out of my speakers? He told me to get a 1/4(female) inch to 1/8(male) stereo cable and plug it in to where my mic goes. I understand this but what i need to know is how to set up the stuff in the volume control and what programs i need. Thanks.

Jeff

p.s.: Don't get all technical on me, i know almost nothing lol.
Hook it up like your teacher told you and then do the following:

Double click on the little speaker icon by the clock in the lower right of your screen. That'll pop up the volume sliders. Click on "Options" and then "Properties" in the upper left. Make sure that "microphone" is checked. Hit OK, then you should see a volume slider for the microphone in with all the other sliders. Turn it up, you should hear your guitar out of your speaker monitors.

It probably won't sound very good, but it should be there.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
cool thanks

also, are there programs to add effects and distortion?
There are, but you might be better off getting something inexpensive like a Behringer V amp effects box before you dive into a lot of $$ software. If you go the V Amp route, you would want to run from the box to the line in on your sound card, not the mic in.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD