or
Create an account

or

Thread FL Studio, how to use midi

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion FL Studio, how to use midi
Hey all, I'm really new to the studio-at-home world and I have a few questions concerning MIDI....

My main musical interest is in early music and what I would like to do is to import MIDI-files (that I made in a score editor) into FL Studio. I've figured out how to import a MIDI file but then I'm stuck so here's my questions...

1) When I play the song nothing can be heard. I guess I must've missed something but this I did do/check: Added pattern to playlist. Made sure an instrument was selected for all the channels. What else?

2) Is it possible to use a MIDI channel together with a soundfont or VST? Most MIDI "instruments" sounds like crap so I thought this would be a good approach.

3) Is it possible to import a MIDI file into an existing project?

Thanks
Anyone? :?
Hi Booty-

I'm not familiar withthe program you're using, so I didn't answer up at first. But lemme see if I can help with some generic answers-

1. No sound when playing midifiles-

Check your settings in Windows. You don't say what midi devices you're trying to use or what Windws version you're running. I would look at what midi instruments are selected in the Windows media properties, and make sure that it's not muted and the volume is up. If you take a midi file and try to play it in Windows Media Player and it works, than the problem is something in the configuration od your FL Studio software.

2. Don't know- depends on your software, which I am unfamiliar with.

3. Same as #2.

Sorry I can't help more.....
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I would agree with Mike, it sounds like your "no sound" is a setup issue within Windows.

As far importing MIDI, I can't help with that either. I have tried to work with MIDI files but I must be missing something, because I just can't get them to work.
On other Cakewalk programs I have worked with, they don't call it "Import", they call it "Insert". Try that.

Also, if you can open more than one project at once, open the file you want to import the midi file into, then open the midi file itself as a separate file. Highlight the midi track you want to import, do a c for copy, then go to the file you're importing to, set the cursor where you want to paste, then do a v to paste the selected midi into the new file.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD