or
Create an account

or

Thread recording drums

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 recording drums
Ok this has probably already been asked loads before but here goes?
I want to record my band but drums are proving to be a difficulty. I dont seem to be able to find much info on gear for this. Ive been looking at the Fostex VF160 but does this have mic preamps on every input?And if not do i need them if im going to be using about 6-7 tracks for drums?

Also is there any other equiptment that would be better than this? I dont have vast amounts of money though but i dont mind taking my computer to practice if that would be better.

Thanks
I am not talking from experience, but I have read and heard of people using a mixer to mike drums. Then they would dump the 6 mikes into 2 channels for recording as separate tracks.
I already reply to someboyelse for the same question:

http://www.studioathome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249

It's really difficult to record with more than 3 or 4 mics. If you are not a lot experienced with mixing, I suggest you to use 3 mics. First, it's better using 3 good adapted mics instead of 6 cheap.
You can see photos of famous groups with 6 to 20 mics around the drum set... but is it really usefull?? I think this is sometimes just for the picture ;-)

The quality of the sound you will have is not dependent the number of mic you will use!

The most important thing for drum recording is the acoustic of the room where the drum is located!!! Trust me, I've done many drums recording, and the best result I've ever had was with 4 mics in a well prepared room ;-)