or
Create an account

or

Thread kick drum/overheads

• 6 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 kick drum/overheads
I am picking up way too much kick drum on my overheads and it is making for a really thin sounding kick drum because of this. My track for the kick drum sounds great but it is overpowered by the sound of this thin crappy sound the overheads are picking up. Even after EQ i can not eliminate it too much...Are there any mic placement or EQ techniques i could try to help me?

By the way i am using good mics shure ksm27 overheads and beta 52 for the kick drum.

THANK YOU.
GREG
I wonder what would would happen if you copied the kick track, inverted the phase, and then mixed it back in with the overhead tracks?

Theoretically, they'd cancel each other...... don't know if it'd work, I've never tried it, but it might be worth trying.

Looks good on paper, anyway.... :lol:
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thank you, that worked quite a bit. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this sound leakage in the first place?

Thanks
Greg
I have been using somme blankets to cover the big drum and prevent its sound from leaking. It is a cheap and efficient solution.

Quote: I wonder what would would happen if you copied the kick track, inverted the phase, and then mixed it back in with the overhead tracks?

Theoretically, they'd cancel each other...... don't know if it'd work, I've never tried it, but it might be worth trying.

Looks good on paper, anyway.... :lol:

Perfectly agree ;-)
I just would like to add on thing:
The sound of the kick you record with the overheads is a bit delayed compared to the signal from the Beta 52. Take a deep look at these two waveform, and don't hesitate to move the tracks to ajust the phase. I'm sure it will solve your problem. In fact you just have to cut low frequencies on you overheads, and to adjust time code on the kick... instead of what you have a thin sound for the kick.

Can you send me a screenshot of the 2 tracks on your sequencer? Then I can post it here to show you how to do...
How would the screen shot work? I have significantly bettered this sound by the EQ when i cut out the low sound, but how do i do the screen shot...i will take anything i can get.
Well...to take a screenshot you can press the print screen (prt scr) button above insert on your keyboard. This will take a picture of whatever is on your screen. You can than paste it into paint. Not sure how to post it online though.