or
Create an account

or

Thread I need to keep it simple!

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
Sujet de la discussion I need to keep it simple!
Hi I am not a technological person and am limited by the fact that I live on a boat and only use a laptop so have no way of fitting top of the range soundcard etc. or building a home studio with mixer and suchlike, so computer based music is not such an option.

I want to be able to make recordings of Native American Flute which I have been playing for about a year now.

The sort of thing that I have been looking at is a handheld 4 channel machine like the Tascam pocketstudio 5 so that I can make recordings on the fly and save them to the laptop as MP3.

My son is a guitarist and also a NAF player and it would be nice if we could duet.

At present that is the extent of my ambition but I am sure that as time goes by I will want to make more varied tracks with rythmn and percussion, so will the setup I envisage do the job?

Cheers
Chris
Merman-

There are lots of all in one combo machines out there. Tascam, Fostex, and Korg are three manufacturers that come to mind right off the top of my head. Many of them are digital these days, so look for one that will export a digital format that you can route to your laptop. A digital 4 or 8 track unit with a couple of good mics and a set of decent monitors (like MAudio's BX5s) will run you @ $700.

Since you already have the laptop, another option (one that offers greater expanasion opportunities, since you mentioned that), would be to look at a USB based recording solution. Something like the MAudio Duo USB (@ $249) should suit your needs nicely. That and a Behringer B1 condensor mic or two (@ $99 ea) and a copy of Cakewalk's Home Studio recording software ($149), and the BX5 monitors and you'll be off and rolling.

Total investment to start, @ $900 (with 2 mics). You could shave $100 off that by going with PGMusic's Power Tracks or FAsoft's N Track softwate instead of Cakewalk. Cake has better flexibility for expansion, IMHO.

The prices I quoted are all estimates for "street" prices that you should be able to get close to from web based retailers.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD