or
Create an account

or

Thread Complete novice wants to record decent demo

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Complete novice wants to record decent demo
I've bought the condensor mic & that's it. I've got an audio technica 5035 or something like that. I like Audio Technica as I use these mics live for singing. Perfect for my voice.

Now, I'm after a computer. I am thinking an iMac. Something around the 400mhz region with about 350mb ram -- maybe about 3 or 4 years old with OS 9.x. I want to use the free Pro Tools so osx is out. I only have a need for 8 tracks.

I have no idea about sound cards. It was my understanding that most macs had this type of hardware already installed?

I have a limited budget as I need to buy a new bass guitar too -- I didn't expect to be doing my own recording but circumstances are pushing me towards it. Now I'm quite excited by the prospect, though I have so much to learn.

I want to record a decent demo that highlights my vocals and songwriting. I expect that I will be working with audio to AIFF files and if needed I can convert these to MP3s using Itunes or whatever as I don't think you can do that in the free version of Pro Tools.

I'll be playing bass, keyboards and doing all the vocals myself. I will use my favourite guitarist and will have to hire a session drummer.

I will be recording a bass track, keyboard track, vocal track main, vocal track backing, guitar track and finally a drum track, whether it be a professionally programmed drum machine or taken into a studio for a live drummer recording. I want to keep it simple. My music style is sophisticated pop with jazz & blues leanings. Something along the lines of Dido -- although vocally we are very different (I come from a jazz singing background).

I guess what I'm after is some advice as to whether you think an iMac as I described above is suitable.

Basically, I am at the point where I am the only one I can rely on and if I do an ok job and start moving, it's better than waiting for the perfect situation that may never happen.
I know nothing about Macs, so I can't help you out there- but I did want to encourage you to follow your dream! Writing your own stuff and recording it is a BLAST!!

Here's the original CD project I'm working on- all done in my basement on a PC. It's my second CD project- you can hear the first CD at the website below in my sig. The songs "You Are My Fire", "Here We Come Again" and "That Day is Gonna Come" on the first CD were recorded in a PC based studio that I only had about $1000 into...... including the computer (but not counting the instruments, which I already had)!

https://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3551&alid=-1
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD