or
Create an account

or

Thread Not quite a n00b, although I do feel like one...

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 Not quite a n00b, although I do feel like one...
Okay, first off thanks to anyone who gives any input on this topic...

Me and a friend are trying to setup a home studio...

we are just going to be recording in vocals with one mic no additonal inputs necessary, unless midi for the beats count....

right now we have a Roland VS-840G sound recorder
a TDK CD recorder
a compaq Presario
and a Shure SM-57 mic...

As of now we are at school and can go to out school lab and utilize Pro Tools on Mac...right now, we use the SLR from the Shure mic to a 1/4" jack in the Roland sound recorder and use the optical output from that to record to the cd recorder and then take that CD to the lab and import to pro tools...

with the advice from a friend, I recently purchased a pre amp for better quality from the SLR to the 1/4" a PreSonus Blue Tube mic preamp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3704753908

plans are to buy a Rode NT1-A also for a better mic

now the questions...

can I run my Roland sound recorder right into my computer through the digital input on the sound card (the compaq presario with an Audigy 2 Platinum sound card) or is that even advisable??

also what software is best suitable for this setup...I'm thinking Cubase SX, I also heard that Nunendo was good, we were also thinking of going with a new system and a 001 protools interfaceand LE, but that is very expensive alternative, and i think we can deal with what we got a the time being...

is there anythign I'm definately screwing up on, or any opinions, anything would greatly help...

also we produce the beats on the computer with fruity loops...and other good beats making programs or versions...?