or
Create an account

or

Thread DAW 'missing link' Advice needed

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 DAW 'missing link' Advice needed
I need some advice setting up a Digital Audio Workstation. I’ll provide a list of what I have (please see below), and where my questions are. I have obviously got a good start gear wise. I have more or less played in live bands as a bass player or keyboard player and to be honest , never really married my computer to my instruments, in fact, I’ve been a little apprehensive by that aspect. Reading this board it looks as though using the computer rather than the stand alone recorder is advisable as I upgrade every two years and I have access to a lot of software.

Something tells me the weakest link is my sound card – having all this stuff going into my computer with one stereo mini plug out from the mains from my mixer –

1.) Any suggestions on Sound Cards - let’s say my budget for this is under 300$

2.) From what I understand I’d rather be dealing with loops of wave files rather than midi – is Cubase the best for this? – I’ve heard the GUI is a little non-intuitive – for a non manual reading person would you say ‘Cool Edit Pro’ would be better?

3.) Regardless if I use Cubase for the recording process I want to use it for it’s VST interments – How to I ‘control’, let’s say an organ VST plug in with my Korg or Ensoniq?

What I have so far:

AMD 2.6 Ghz, 512 RAM, 120 Meg Hard Drive, ‘all in one’ sound card
Cubase
Groove Agent
Ensoniq zr76
Korg X5d
Bass Pod – Fender P
Guitar Pod – Various Electric’s, Takamine Acoustic
Behringer 2222 Mixer
2 AKG 535 Mic’s, ART tube Mic preamp
Lexicon MPX 100 – reverb and multi effects
Boss sp 202 – basically a ‘Fisher Price’ sampler

Any reponses would be greatly appreciated.

Seratone

Quote:

2.) From what I understand I’d rather be dealing with loops of wave files rather than midi – is Cubase the best for this? – I’ve heard the GUI is a little non-intuitive – for a non manual reading person would you say ‘Cool Edit Pro’ would be better?

3.) Regardless if I use Cubase for the recording process I want to use it for it’s VST interments – How to I ‘control’, let’s say an organ VST plug in with my Korg or Ensoniq?

i can do those! ;)

recording to coll edit is easy, i never read anything about it, live it and learn it, the new cool edit is made by adobe(they bought syntrillium or whoever) "adobe aduition" its almost identical to cool edit, but has different cosmetic changes and some new FX presets...among other things

i love it, i use it ever day for recording from my analog mixer or to mix down songs from my 4track into an edirol ua-1a USB cable (it takes L-R rca inputs...out from my mixer)

you control software synths and instruments with midi, so any midi keyboard would doo