Create an account

or

Thread Newbie: microphone recommendations wanted for group project

• 7 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Newbie: microphone recommendations wanted for group project
Hello:

This is my first post on this forum. My name is Mike and usually lurk over at the Mandolin Cafe forum.

Over at the Mandolin Cafe people are working on a project where players are learning a song together and then post their recordings for other hear.

People seem to be drifting toward Audicity for PC recording.

My question is (and I'm sure it's been asked a million times) what would serve as a passable microphone for a minimal investment to be used as a PC input?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have many suggections on inexpensive recording mics but am curious of what you are planning to use it for and what you plan to connect it to?

I'd be glad to give you some recommendations if I can when you reply.

Joe C

Quote: I have many suggections on inexpensive recording mics but am curious of what you are planning to use it for and what you plan to connect it to?

I'd be glad to give you some recommendations if I can when you reply.

Joe C

JAC

Thanks for getting back so quickly with your offer to help.

The mic will be used to record acoustic mandolin tracks. I (and I assume most other people) will be recording single tracks. Perhaps the fanciest thing we will do is lay a lead track over pre-recorded rhythm tracks.

I will be using a PC and Audacity software. I have standard mic jack on the PC as well as USB ports. Some people may also be using Macs.

The recording quality doesn't have be perfect, but should be good better than what is likely to be obtainable with a cheapo PC microphone.

Is that enough information? If not, please let me know and I will try to be more specific.

Thanks again.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040308132351069000055116733420/g=rec/s=mics/search/detail/base_pid/277087/

The above link was from a delaer's website (I hope that is not a no no in the forum). One Mic that comes to mind is the Nady CM 90 Cardoid Condensor. It is really inexpensive at $ 49 considering that it is capable of very professional results. I have a pair of these mics in my collection and often use them for recording mandolin, banjo, and slide acoustic guitar.

You also cannot ever go terribly wrong with an old trusty Shure SM57.

Either of these mics you could find uses for for the rest of your music career.

Joe C

Quote: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040308132351069000055116733420/g=rec/s=mics/search/detail/base_pid/277087/

The above link was from a delaer's website (I hope that is not a no no in the forum). One Mic that comes to mind is the Nady CM 90 Cardoid Condensor. It is really inexpensive at $ 49 considering that it is capable of very professional results. I have a pair of these mics in my collection and often use them for recording mandolin, banjo, and slide acoustic guitar.

You also cannot ever go terribly wrong with an old trusty Shure SM57.

Either of these mics you could find uses for for the rest of your music career.

Joe C

Joe:

Would either of these mics just plug into the microphone jack on the PC?

Also, the Nady mic information said that it required 48V phantom power. What would I need to have to supply this power and would it be expensive?
I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking the standard 1/8 inch jack for computer mic in.

I don't know if there is anything that you can get too good of audio music quality with this input. However, if you have a small mic mixer you may be able to use a more professional mic and then plug the mixer into the LINE in on the pc sound card instead. You can buy inexpensive mic mixers at Radio Shack.

Joe C

Quote: I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking the standard 1/8 inch jack for computer mic in.

I don't know if there is anything that you can get too good of audio music quality with this input. However, if you have a small mic mixer you may be able to use a more professional mic and then plug the mixer into the LINE in on the pc sound card instead. You can buy inexpensive mic mixers at Radio Shack.

Joe C

I assume everyone will have a USB port. Is there an inexpensive way to go from the mic to USB?

Also, I looked at the Shure site and I could not find anything suggesting that the Shure-SM57 requires phantom power. Is it correct that this mic does not require phantom power?

If that is correct and if there is a relatively cheap what to go from mic to PC, the Shure may be a good solution. However, I am open to any and all ideas.
for mic to usb chck this out >>>>>>

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua5.html

allows 2 frontside inputs, which are 1/4 LINE in or XLR line in (its a combo input)