Create an account

or

Thread My first recording set up

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 My first recording set up
hi there,
I've accindently posted outside the newbie forum first, apologies for that, i'm in the process of putting together my first recording set up, my girlfriens in a band and i do the sound for them, so i'm going one further and attempting to record a demo,have a look and let me know what you think:

Studiomaster 16-8-16 mixdown gold desk

dell 2.8ghz pentium 4, 512MB DDR, 40 gig hd laptop

shure beta 57a mic for vocals
2x shure pg81 for acoustic or room pickup or drum overhead
shure sm58's for guitars

I've not chosen a sound card or recording program yet, one of my main worries is that my laptop does not have a firewire port only USB 2-0 and no PCI port either. although the bus has an 8 stereo analogue outputs, i'm only looking for a stereo input soundcard at the moment, but there doesn't seem to be many USB 2.0 soundcards about that are reasonably priced. My budget is about £200.00, any suggestions?

PS 24 bit 96 Khrtz sounds about right for recording through a external soundcard, let me know if i'm wrong
forgot to mention the systems on windows xp.
I also have a similar situation - only USB 2.0 .. theres the Tascam US 122 with decent features but apparently its very very fussy abt th system it works with. Otherwise its just fine. . Very portable and USB.
M-Audio has really good USB interfaces too but the tascam has all the features i need for my price range.
yeah i've heard varying opinions about that card that ahve put me off buying it already. some people swear by it, some people hate ite, but if it's only system compatibility thats the problem i might go for it, what operating system are you using mate?