Maxon CS-550 Stereo Chorus
Maxon CS-550 Stereo Chorus

Chorus for Guitar from Maxon belonging to the Vintage series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 03/15/09 à 05:05
(Originally written by drapeau_rouge/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
Vintage analog chorus effect: Maxon CS 550. One input and two outputs. When both outputs are used channel A delivers the effect signal and channel B the dry source signal.

9-volt input with negative center, which allows you to easily power the pedal (I personally use my Cioks Big John so I don't use the PSU provided...). The pedal has a low power consumption (12 or 13 mA), which is convenient!

The pedal size is less convenient: it's very bulky for my pedal board! It has almost the same dimensions as a Big Muff Pi... Luckily, the inputs and outputs are placed on the sides of the housing...

Four controls: Delay time, depth, speed and a very small control on the top of the pedal to adjust the wet/dry balance... Comprehensive!

I give it an 8 because of the size.

Plug'n'play effect: just turn the controls and listen to the sound... In the worst case, read the user's manual to understand the controls and get nice setting ideas!

The small control on the top of the housing is not easy to use... But it's a minor detail...

The device looks great, the silk screen print is very nice... This pedal looks beautiful!

No switching noises, sturdy switch... No complaints!! And to top it off, the effect on/off LED also displays the battery status...

10 / 10.

It produces the nicest chorus I've ever heard on my CDs and my guitar.

I already owned a Voodoo Lab Chorus ('76 Boss CE1 reissue), I tested some EH Nano Clone and Small Clone and a Boss Chorus...

They all sounded artificial! With this one, the sound is... WONDERFUL, very WARM and vintage... It produces a terrific sound. It even sounds good for Metallica!!!

With distortion it also provides a extremely good sound. It's a delight!

From a filtered sound to a light chorus effect and strong and/or fast chorus, a sort of tremolo, vibrato and unique effects... Everything is possible.

The main advantage of this pedal is its delay time, which influences the frequency response of the effect... It's great!!!! 10 / 10, I love it.

It has some small cons (size and price) but overall it's a great product!

The price is somewhat high for a chorus pedal but.. You won't regret having bought it! I don't regret my purchase!

I just found the chorus I'll use my whole life... Test it and look at the review on Youtube...