or
Create an account

or

Thread please some help on elec guit recording

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 please some help on elec guit recording
No matter what I do, the sound of my recorded guitar is as if I put my amp i a giant bucket.
It sounds echoish and dull.

adjusting the eq settings do not help. I will still get a weired echo. I record in a dead room. Carpeted etc. etc.
My mics are top of the line. I record with 16 mics at different locations in the room 9Using sm57's seinheiser 609e and AT4043 these are the best of the best. Still from my crate it sounds bright thin and crisp and upfront.

I can not get the nice easy on the ears metal sounds as in Disturbed "remember" for example.

I have 10 million books on how to's on guit recording, but nothing.

I'm starting to think it is my crate that sucks for recording.

Life it sounds great but recorded not so.

The Marshalls sound HORRIBLE life but maybe they are recording amps?
any help tips suggestions would be awesome

rock on dudes
If you are recording with multiple mics, you may be having a phase cancellation problem. It has to do with the timing of when the guitar signal arrives at the different mics. If the signals from the different mics are out of phase, they start to cancel each other. Frequencies start to drop out, and you get a comb filter effect. Yuck.

Get an SM57, stick it in front of the speaker about halfway between the center and the edge of the speaker. Close enough so that it is not quite touching the grill cloth, and angle it into the center of the speaker a little bit. Get your amp sounding the way you want it, then experiment with moving the mic closer or further from the speaker, and closer and further from the center of the speaker.

You can also experiment with a room mic about 6 feet bakc or so and maybe up higher, but watch for phase cancellation or you'll start to have problems again.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
I use a very effective 2 or 3 mic technique to capture a great amp sound guitar. You can find it described at
http://www.koretzmusic.com/rocksure2.html#tip11
It's a little different but always produces the goods :)