Gibson ES-335 Dot (1995)
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 11/05/08 à 11:36
(Originally written by gratouillos/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

USA Made Custom Shop guitar... it's a good start!
Rather thick neck
Tune-o-matic bridge
'57 Humbucker pickups
"Mac fly" red finish
Impeccable craftsmanship. The fly case contained some wood shavings (custom shop oversight or deliberate marketing??!... )

The neck is truly great! It's thick and round but comfortable. It might sound perplexing for some but it is actually possible to play with such a neck (I started out with an Ibanez...).

Upper frets are readily accessible... and to be totally honest, it's the first time I've ever asked myself that question.
The fingerboard feels comfortable, you can ram through it without a problem.

Don't let yourself be fooled by the F-holes, the guitar is rather heavy. But that's surely no surprise for people who know the brand. The size of the body may seem too generous in first instance, but when you play sitting down the guitar has the perfect height. Nevertheless, when you play standing up it can be rather imposing because it is evidently bigger than most electric guitars.

Versatility! I knew it and I bought it for that reason. At first I was quite surprised by the output power of the '57 humbuckers... It's really pleasant to be able to play every single music style... The sound can be powerful, percussive, mellow, dry or grainy (I've got a Marshall ) depending on the distortion and the pickup. I've even tried to do some tapping! My favorite sound has a TS808-like saturation. It's the sound of the professional pop musicians.
I would like to give it an 11 )

I bought it in June and it's my favorite guitar. You have to try it if you want to get a set-neck guitar.
Once I had a small feedback during a rehearsal, but it sounded like Santana so I didn't care much...