Agrandir
Sony ECM-55

All user reviews for the Sony ECM-55

• moosersmoosers

Sony ECM-55Published on 08/22/09 at 11:57
    The Sony ECM 55 is a small diaphragm condenser microphone that is designed for use in the recording studio.  It has an XLR cable connected to it and has an omnidirectional pick up pattern.  I've only used the mic in the studio, but it is suitable for live recording as well for simple live sound.

I've only used the Sony ECM 55 a handful of times, but I've used it in a variety of situations.  I first used it a few years ago, but I'm not in love with this mic so I haven't used it all that often.  I like the way that it sounds for some things, but for me it only works for on a limited number of applications.  I do like using it for acoustic guitar and other acoustic stringed instruments, but I don't like it so much for drum overheads or anything drum related.  It has a pretty crisp sound quality for more mid range instruments like the acoustic guitar, but for things that need a bit more detail on the high end, it doesn't sound as good in my opinion.  Having the cable attached to it is both a blessing and a curse because while it comes in handy sometimes, it can get in the way other times.  Sony definitely makes some good products, and the ECM 55 is one of them, but I've certainly heard better small diaphragm condenser microphones for this price and to me there are more options out there.  The price is quite reasonable, but to me the mic could sound a little better because there are other mics out there that sound better for the same price.  All in all, the Sony ECM 55 is a nice mic at a nice price, but definitely shop around a bit before buying.