Korby Audio Technologies KAT Blue

All user reviews for the Korby Audio Technologies KAT Blue

• moosersmoosers

Korby Audio Technologies KAT BluePublished on 05/24/10 at 13:36
    The Korby Audio Technologies KAT Blue microphone is large diaphragm tube condenser microphone to be used in the recording studio. I wouldn't use this outside the studio under any circumstances, and I don't think that you should either (although I doubt anyone was thinking about it anyway). The mic has a cardioid polar pick up pattern and picks up frequencies between 30 Hz and 20 kHz. Being that it is a tube mic, it comes with it's own power supply and special cable to connect to it, as all tube mics do. It also has a built in LED light that shines blue, which is really cool looking but doesn't serve any purpose to the sound. It also comes in a variety of other colors.

OVERALL OPINI…

The Korby Audio Technologies KAT Blue is definitely one of the most unique microphones that I've seen. Since KAT is such a small company, each of these mics is hand tuned and can be customized. I've only used the KAT Blue for recording vocals on back to back sessions with the same singer, who brought it in themselves. We did a small shoot out with a couple other high end microphones just to get some perspective on the sound and to see if other mics might work better for different songs, but we ended up only using this microphone. It really has a sweet sound overall, picking up all the details in the voice and beyond. When you listen to the mic in the control room, it sounds like someone is talking/singing right in the room! It really just has that good of a sound. I haven't used any other microphones made by Korby Audio Technologies, but it seems like they only have a few other models beyond this mic coming in a few different colors. I don't know too much about it, but I guess you can get the mic tailored to your specifications, although I don't know how it works exactly. While the price of the KAT Blue will certainly put a dent in your wallet, if you're a professional looking for the perfect all around tube condenser mic, this needs to be in the discussion.