Yamaha AES620L

All user reviews for the Yamaha AES620L

Left-Handed Electric Guitar from Yamaha belonging to the AES series.

( 5/5 based on 2 reviews )
2 reviews
  • MGR/OneMGR/One

Yamaha AES 620

Yamaha AES620LPublished on 09/14/05 at 15:00
    Play: Prog Rock, Classic Rock and Metal
    Playing for: 9 Months
    Not in a band
    Favourite Bands: Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, MetallicA, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Chimaira, Tool, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Motorhead and ACDC

I bought this guitar off-the-shelf from our local music store. I paid 680 Australian Dollars though the price-tag WAS 1400. It's my first guitar. I walked in and I intended to buy an Epiphone Les Paul. I played both in the store and quite simply: The Yamaha blows the Epiphone out of the water.

Play: Prog Rock, Classic Rock and Metal
    Playing for: 9 Months
    Not in a band

It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. The contours kinda wrap around your body keeping it nice and close and comfortable. My pots "fart" a bit when fiddling with them, but I generally keep them at the same spot. I'm sure cleaning them would clear that up regardless.

The tone is maaaggnificant. I can play whatever the hell I want and get a good noise out of it. With the pickup switch flicked up, I get a nice deep sound, good for rythyms and when flicked down, I get a sharper sound which is awesome for leads. Clean with a bit of chorus does wonders for Floyd, and when Distorted: I can do some pretty heavy chunks too.

The neck is also pretty slippery, making slides nice and easy as well as changing chords\keys.

The only thing that I dont like about this is the lack of markings. I have no idea where the knobs are set and occaisonally: Some mongrel will come along and shift 'em around on me.

Absolutely top-notch. I've banged this guitar around a bit (I play in too small of a place) and I dont have a dent, nick or scratch in the body. Nothing moves (except the strings of course :P). It's a total rock-solid construction.

An absolutely beautiful guitar. There's not a single thing wrong with this beauty. There's almost no reason to buy another guitar.

But well...Gibson are still making Les Paul's right?

• MGR/iversonMGR/iverson

Yamaha AES 620

Yamaha AES620LPublished on 07/12/04 at 15:00
    Purchased for $650 (Canadian including 15% tax) at a local music store. Had been looking for another guitar for about a year but didn't find anything that fit my budget. The way this guitar played was almost effortless. I would have been very sad if I didn't buy it.

Once I picked up the guitar I couldn't put it down. I've had guitars around most of my life but its been years since the last time I couldn't put down a guitar. Guitars at much higher prices did not feel or sound as good as this guitar. The appearance of the guitar is also quite nice and not overly flashy.

I dislike the placement of the pickup switch as I'm used to my old Fender strat and have a tendency to hit the switch by accident. Also the volume and tone knobs may look good without any markings on them, I can't just look at them and figure out which way I want to move them.

Well built. No glaring flaws.

If you are looking for a great value then this is the guitar. Good features, nice sound and appearance and at a price that is very reasonable. I would recommend this guitar to serious beginners as well as long time players who are stuck on a budget. Even those who could afford more ... I'd suggest trying out this guitar.