Create an account

• MGR/GolemMGR/Golem

Spector ReBop-5

Spector ReBop 5Published on 05/31/05 at 15:00
    $460 at a Guitar Center, used with
    some visible wear but no problems.

I have no need or or use for neck
    through designs, and I'm very fond
    of my other bolt-on Spector. This
    one feels the same but sounds very
    different with different PUs, body
    wood and pre-amp.

I can play this with a very low
    action and a nearly flat neck,
    even with a touch of fret wear.
    It's a really effortless player.

Tone is phenominal. I use a GK,
    or sometimes a tube Bassman, an
    Ampeg cab with horn, and so the
    bass has to be pretty clean as
    there's some dirt from the amps
    at most settings. I also use a
    very clean AI head, yet this ax
    is very smooth, super smooth, on
    a clean rig, no clanks or …
    $460 at a Guitar Center, used with
    some visible wear but no problems.

I have no need or or use for neck
    through designs, and I'm very fond
    of my other bolt-on Spector. This
    one feels the same but sounds very
    different with different PUs, body
    wood and pre-amp.

I can play this with a very low
    action and a nearly flat neck,
    even with a touch of fret wear.
    It's a really effortless player.

Tone is phenominal. I use a GK,
    or sometimes a tube Bassman, an
    Ampeg cab with horn, and so the
    bass has to be pretty clean as
    there's some dirt from the amps
    at most settings. I also use a
    very clean AI head, yet this ax
    is very smooth, super smooth, on
    a clean rig, no clanks or honks.

There is always a punch to the
    attack, but gloved, not bare
    knuckled, and the rest of the
    tone is pretty much up to the
    player, as even with minimal
    controls you can dial up about
    any electric tone. There's no
    'acoustic' sounds in there.

UI had to finish almost every fret
    end myself, using a small grinder,
    as they were really annoying, and
    so they were quite a distraction.

You have to open the cavity to get
    at the 9v battery. It has two vol
    pots instead of a fader set up. A
    midrange control would be useful
    but it's not a major problem as it
    seems the bass/treble ranges have
    a wide spread to each of them.

The neck PU could be closer to the
    neck for my tastes. The 3 tuning
    keys on one side of the head are
    too close together but that can be
    easily altered. String spacing at
    the bridge is a bit narrow for me,
    but not a deal breaker.

Other than having to finish all the
    fret ends, I'd say the fingerboard
    wood looks a little tacky, as does
    the black finish on the bridge, but
    those are minor things. The neck
    and body finish are minimal, which
    I like, and everything else in the
    woodwork seems perfectly fitted.

The bolt-on neck uses a deep-inset
    desigh to maximize contact area and
    strength, and this seems to work as
    designed. Neck looks to be 3 piece.

The bridge has a lock-up screw for
    the saddles, but when unlocked they
    are held in place only by a string.
    You almost need 3 hands to adjust
    the intonation.

The saddles are soft metal and I
    expect roundwound users will need
    to de-burr them occasionally.

The tone is the real deal here, and
    if you gotta have it, you won't be
    happy without a Euro or US Spector.
    Both Aguilar and Spector pre-amps
    are similar although you may prefer
    one or the other.

These things are $900 new, and I've
    seen plenty of $300 Korean basses
    without the protruding fret ends.
    Maybe only some of these have the
    problem. Other than that, you can
    easily spend $900 or more on lesser
    basses, and you can spend way over
    $900 and wonder what the difference
    is delivering beyond eye candy.

Audience analysis (Google Analytics)
Advertising (Google Ads)
Marketing (Meta Pixel)

On our websites, we use the Meta Pixel. The Meta Pixel is a remarketing pixel implemented on our websites that allows us to target you directly via the Meta Network by serving ads to visitors of our websites when they visit the social networks Facebook and Instagram. The meta pixel are code snippets which are able to identify your browser type via the browser ID - the individual fingerprint of your browser - and to recognise that you have visited our websites and what exactly you have looked at on our websites. When you visit our websites, the pixel establishes a direct connection to Meta's servers. Meta is able to identify you by your browser ID, as this is linked to other data about you stored by Meta on your Facebook or Instagram user account. Meta then delivers individualised ads from us on Facebook or on Instagram that are tailored to your needs.

We ourselves are not in a position to identify you personally via the meta pixel, as apart from your browser ID no other data is stored with us via the pixel.

For more information about the Meta Pixel, the details of data processing via this service and Meta's privacy policy, please visit Meta Privacy Policy - How Meta collects and uses user data for Facebook and Meta Privacy Policy - How Meta collects and uses user data for Instagram.

Meta Platforms Ireland Ltd. is a subsidiary of Meta Platforms, Inc. based in the USA. It cannot be ruled out that your data collected by Facebook will also be transmitted to the USA.

Audience analysis (Google Analytics)

Advertising (Google Ads)