Shure Beta 91
Shure Beta 91

Other Microphone from Shure belonging to the BETA series.

Publié le 02/01/11 à 20:54
The Shure Beta 91 is a unique boundary condenser microphone for use in the studio. I’ve only used this microphone a few times, but it’s the best of it’s type that I’ve used. It’s got a very high SPL capability as it can handle very loud signals. It’s got a half cardioid polar pattern, which makes sense considering the shape and design of the mic. It’s got a frequency range that goes from 20 Hz to 20 kHz…

The Shure Beta 91 is a really cool microphone to have around the studio. An outside engineer recently brought the mic into the studio where I work at, using it on the inside of a kick drum along with a Shure Beta 52A on the outside. I’d used boundary mics like this before, but not really for recording kick drum and have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. Between the Beta 91 and the Beta 52A on the outside, we got one of the most well rounded kick drum sounds I’ve heard to date. The mic is definitely going to be suitable for applications beyond just this, as boundary mics in general are great for picking up ambient sound in a room as well as for speech and conferences. They do now have the Beta 91A, although I can’t say if there are any major differences between the two of them. Although I’ve yet to have the means to try this theory, I believe the Beta 91 is a very versatile microphone and will most likely sound good for no matter what you use it for, although due to it’s shape and design it’s not going to be best for a lot of traditional applications. For what I’ve used it for, it really has a clear sound and another upside to the mic is that it’s super easy to place as all you need to do is set it down. The Shure Beta 91 is definitely the ultimate mic of it’s kind and worth exploring for all interested in a boundary mic.