PRS SE Santana - Black

SE Santana - Black, Other Shape Guitar from PRS in the SE Signature series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the PRS SE Santana - Black

Average Score:4.2( 4.2/5 based on 34 reviews )
 18 reviews53 %
 9 reviews26 %
 4 reviews12 %
 1 user review3 %
 2 reviews6 %
Buy at Sweetwater
ericthegreat11/24/2011

ericthegreat's review"Grea quality and sound"

PRS SE Santana - Black
The PRS SE Santana is another axe that’s made in Korea, Korea has been known to create great guitars and they are well built. The overall, quality of this guitar will amaze you. It is very clean, not a big fan of the standard burnt orange color though. I like simple basic color schemes. But if you can look past the color you will love it.

You can reach the frets very easy. You will get a nice sound with out any problems as well.

The pickups are PRS and it shows. You really feel the sound with any PRS roundness and warmth. I love! The guitar has 2 knobs, 1 volume and bass / treble. Button bass / treble enormously influence the sound and provides access to a very wide range of sounds. The guitar has a 3 position selector:
Micro-position low: wonderful for clean, jazzy enough anyway, but it's not a Start (for those looking for a specific stratum). For saturates, it's a very hot with lots of bass.
Intermediate-position: It's the heat of the micro bass with more acute. Perfect for saturates to be clearer while retaining heat.
Position micro-acute: I use it to saturate only.

Overall, The sound from this guitar is pretty dag on smooth. The clean tones from this guitar are super mellow because of the short scale. With less tension on the strings you get less snap on each note. The pickups help make the notes super fat when you are playing with some drive. The neck pickup has a really vowelly PAF sound to it. Almost like you have a subtle wah on at all time. This gives you really smooth but clear leads in the neck position. The bridge position has a crunchy classic rock voicing. Soloing in the bridge position gives you great bite and attack on the notes. The pickups are like hot rodded PAF's. They give you a great combination of clarity and definition with your overdriven tones.
heads on fire11/02/2011

heads on fire's review"Decent budget axe."

PRS SE Santana - Black
This review is for the very first series of Santana SE guitars, the ones that didn't even have PRS branded on them yet.

Made in Korea
Mahogany body - flat, not arched like a USA PRS
Mahogany set in neck
22 nickel frets
Diagonal line inlays
2 PRS SE Humbucker pickups
PRS SE Stoptail bridge, one piece
Volume, Tone, 2 way switch

The guitar is certainly easy to play, but it's not a shred beast. The neck feels like it is more suited for bluesy riffing and soulful solos. I guess that's fitting with the Santana name! The inlays are a nice touch - they are definitely unique. One thing I'm not a fan of is the bridge - it seems to intonate fine with 9s or 10s, but any hybrid sets, or using 8s or 11s tends to make the intonation suffer. There are no individual saddle adjustments, so the bridge only has a treble and bass side set screw to adjust the intonation. The metal used in the bridge also seems to be a cheaper pot metal, not cast, so it is the weak point of the guitar in my opinion. Another annoyance is the blocky neck heel - no hindrance, but it just doesn't feel like it belongs to a guitar with a PRS name.

The guitar sounds surprisingly good for the price. The treble humbucker (PRS doesn't use the terms "bridge" or "neck" pickup) has a lot of definition, even on heavy gain settings and complex chords, and the neck pickup does the "violin tone" very well. Thick, ample warmth, and singing sustain are the name of the game here. One way I'd recommend to enhance the overall sound would be to get a PRS USA stoptail, like from the McCarty series, and put it on here instead of the supplied stock bridge. Another modification I'd recommend would be to change the pots, switch, and cap to something higher quality, like RS Guitarworks.

This review looks like a winning Vegas slot machine - straight 7s across the board. It's better than average, and is certainly no slouch for the price. The guitar is a good candidate for projects - buy it and then mod a few parts, and then you'll have a surefire budget winner on your hands.
tjon90109/01/2011

tjon901's review"Budget Santana signature"

PRS SE Santana - Black
PRS is a super high end guitar maker known around the world. They are known for their high end instruments built for professionals. Lately they have started a Line of foreign made guitars called the SE line. These guitars are much cheaper but have most of the tone and playability of the much more expensive USA made models. This is the foreign made version of the Santana signature guitar. This guitar is pretty unique in the PRS line since it has more of a Gibson Double Cut shape to it and a short scale. The body on this guitar is mahogany with a mahogany set neck. The profile is PRS's wide fat neck that a lot of people like. It has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard with the PRS birds on it. The neck scale is 24.5 inches. You get PRS tuners up top and a PRS Fender style tremolo bridge. The pickups are two PRS pickups voiced specifically for this model. The controls are basic with a master volume and master tone with a 3 way switch.

PRS guitars are some of the best playing guitars out there. This one has a strange feel to it due to it being a Santana signature. The Wide Fat neck profile is something you find on many PRS guitars. It is a very popular profile. It is not as fat as the name implies. The shorter upper horn gives you a bit different feel when playing high on the neck. The short scale may trip some people up. It is shorter than that of a Gibson. It gives you a really loose feel on the strings so you can bend them like crazy but it also gets very crowded on the upper frets. With just about every PRS SE model I hate where they put the pickup selector. It is out by itself on the body away from the knobs. I wish they would put it closer to the knobs. This isnt a big problem but it takes some getting use to.

The sound from this guitar is super smooth. The clean tones from this guitar are super mellow because of the short scale. With less tension on the strings you get less snap on each note. The pickups help make the notes super fat when you are playing with some drive. The neck pickup has a really vowelly PAF sound to it. Almost like you have a subtle wah on at all time. This gives you really smooth but clear leads in the neck position. The bridge position has a crunchy classic rock voicing. Soloing in the bridge position gives you great bite and attack on the notes. The pickups are like hot rodded PAF's. They give you a great combination of clarity and definition with your overdriven tones.

This guitar is good for the hardcore Santana fan but personally I would not select this guitar over a normal PRS. The things that make this guitar unique for Santana do not add to the overall great playability of a normal PRS. The unusually short scale may put people off as well as the modified shape. If you are a PRS fan looking for a more affordable way to have the same guitar as your hero here it is.
MGR/Rock'n'Roll Cole08/03/2010

MGR/Rock'n'Roll Cole's review"PRS Santana SE"

PRS SE Santana - Black
Ok now we've read all the other reviews. No one mentioned the great playing rosewood fretboards or flawless jumbo frets. Plus being an absolutely beautiful Tobacco Sunburst finish on a one piece mohagany body as well as the same for the set neck. Makes this the perfect platform for a very fine touring and recording guitar. With that and it's great low price, I bought one and with only a few mods it's the go to guitar.
First off I replaced the non-locking tuners with Grover Rotomatics. The saddle issues mentioned with a set of Graph-Tech PRS Santana SE saddles and their Tusk self lubricating nut (can be bought as a set for this model. I had it set up by a pro and wow! It stays in tune for weeks even when I use the tremolo, and it's now a resonating, sustaining dream. I also changed the bridge pickup to a Seymore Duncan JB4, the pots for CTS ones with orange drop caps, and a set of D'Adarrio XL 10's and now it is a gigging and recording tone monster! It truly is a players guitar and will now easily keep up with and surpass many U.S. humbuckered Strats, Teles or Sg's and a few cheaper Pauls and definately anything offshore. All of these mods cost less than $400 installed, and lots less if you can do the work yourself. I own in total 13 guitar and 8 basses all of which are U.S. and/or

It originally sold for the regular dealer price (don't remember) at the local PRS dealer here in southern Ontario, Canada. Where it was bought and modded by me.

With these modifications I love everthing about it, even the stock neck pickup shines for cleans and overdriven/bluesy tones with the new pots and Graph-Tech parts etc..

The big neck heel...but it's really not a big deal.

see above

It may seem like a lot of money for a guitar that costs not too much more than the mods but for under a $1000 you get a guitar that tone wise will keep up to the best of them, and with great playablity that together can't be rivaled at this price point buy anyone.

MGR/Anonymous12/11/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Paul Reed Smith Santana SE"

PRS SE Santana - Black
i got it at a music store in my town wher i buy all of my my guitars and i have loved all of them i have gotten but this one. i paid about $600 for thispiece of crap. if i could give it a zero i would

i don't like anything about this fuckin guitar simple as that.

i hate everything about it. the damn thing never stays in tune the pickups don't pickup anything well on it.th wiring is all scrwwed upi had to oay an extra $200 to get that fixed.it buzzes even with a high action. they welded the pickups in so you can't take them out.

none, i would have to be crazy to put somethin here

its is a damn piece of shit

MGR/Rui Tavares , Portugal01/19/2004

MGR/Rui Tavares , Portugal's review"Paul Reed Smith Santana SE"

PRS SE Santana - Black
I Bought this fantastic axe for 850€ (close to 1020 USD) at Faminho in Portugal (Yeah, that's right. I'm Portuguese). I was in the market for a double humbucker guitar and... this IS a PRS!!!

Everything! I mean, have you heard it's tone? It's fantastic. The fingerboard is very smooth and extremely fast. Playability is great and the sound is full and rich.

..unhh!!! Dificult! Maybe I'd like it to have separate tone control for each pickup... but it doesn´t bother me that much! It doesn't have locking tunners but it keeps tune just fine.

It's really solid!! Built like a tank, I'd say, and still manages to be quite light!! Don't think I'll ever have a problem with this unit. I think it can take a serious beating...

Fantastic!!! I play this guitar through a Line6 POD and into a Fender RockPro 1000!! It's a killer sound. I usually play lead guitar based on Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Pink Floyd, Queen and, of course, Santana. The versatility of this piece of equipment is oustanding. This baby sunk my Fender Stratocaster to reserve status and I use it on live gigs all the time... it became my main guitar.

MGR/Rui Tavares , Portugal10/07/2003

MGR/Rui Tavares , Portugal's review"PRS Santana SE"

PRS SE Santana - Black
I bought this superb axe from FAMINHO in Famalicão (Portugal) for €850 (about the same amount in USD). Why did I bought it? Well, I was looking for a humbucker based guitar and found this amazing piece of equipment… come on, it’s a PRS (even if it is Korean made).

I love everything about this guitar. For starters, it’s extremely beautiful (mine is dark brown woodlike colour… I think it’s Mahogany Black Sunburst, but I’m not sure. That colour does not appear in PRS site as one of the available colours for the SE! Don’t know how I got it, but I love it…)! It’s really light (compared to a Gibson) and the neck fit’s me perfectly and the strap buttons seem sturdy. There’s a small buzz on the A string, but nothing special… As for the sound, just one word: PERFECT for a guitar with this price range. I mean it’s a full, warm yet a little dark sound. Maybe not as powerful as some of the “extreme metal” players would like, but since I mostly play blues and rock&roll it suits me fine. I play it through a Line6 POD and a Fender Rockpro 1000! The result is great.

I haven’t found any major complaints about this guitar yet. I would like to have locking tuners, so maybe I’ll upgrade them in the future.

This guitar seems quite solid. No finish flaws or anything. Built to last, I’d say…

Bottom line: an excellent buy!! Perfect tone and intonation, incredibly lasting sustain, fantastic neck. There’s no way you’ll get a better guitar for nowhere near this kind of price. I’ve been playing an Epiphone Les Paul and the is no possible comparison… the PRS blows the competition away. On live gigs I use both this guitar and my Eric Clapton Stratocaster. I love them both, yet the “Claptoncaster” was much more expensive. This PRS really rocks…

MGR/Rui Tavares , Portugal10/07/2003

MGR/Rui Tavares , Portugal's review"Paul Reed Smith Santana SE"

MGR/Anonymous08/31/2003

MGR/Anonymous's review"Paul Reed Smith Santana SE"

PRS SE Santana - Black
I was at Good News Music in Traverse City, Michigan. I go in there and hang out alot, because I love guitars. I didn't need a new guitar at all, but I've always loved PRS and I've never had the money. As I walked in I saw this Royal Blue Santana in the middle of the room and I knew right then I had to have it. I plugged it into a Marshall MG100DFX (the amp I have at home) and let it sing. I got it with the incredibly nice gig bag for $500 out the door.

First of all, it's got the PRS shape. Next, it sounds awesome clean and even more awesome cranked out. It's incredibly playable and fast. The wide neck feels really really good. The finish is definitely eye catching. I got the version with the nickel covered humbuckers and no pickguard, which I think looks alot better than the new one. Also, it feels really comfortable when it's strapped on.

The Royal blue finish is really hard to keep clean. It's impossible to keep fingerprints off.
I'm not a huge fan of the trem and it was seated crooked when i picked it up. All I had to do was push it back in. Even then, when i use the trem, it knocks against the body. The non-locking tuners don't hold tune when you use the trem, but that's typical. Also, the bridge pickup has alot of feedback when I crank up my amp.

A very high quality unit for the price. I've played guitars that cost twice as much that sounded and felt like crap. There are a couple of defects in the finish, but nothing really noticeable and nothing that is going to affect sound or playability.

If you're looking for PRS looks, affordability, and one hell of a nice axe, get the PRS Santana SE.

MGR/Dylan07/23/2003

MGR/Dylan's review"PRS Santana SE"

I paid $360 with shipping from ebay, thought it was a GOOD DEAL

It looks really nice black with pearl se inlays and chrome hardware. A solid one piece guitar with plenty of sustain. Not to crazy about Santana though so I blackened out his name with shiny black car paint. I mean his old stuff is cool and all but you know....

I didin't know this before I bought it but most PRS guitars have a huge heel connecting the neck to the body this gets really annoying when your playing in the upper register. It takes alot out of my style of playing. Also there is a bad buzzing from the low E string, possibly the buzz is fixable.

It has a great look to it kind of like a cross between an SG and Les Paul with two humbuckers and standard PRS bridge. Selector switch can give you a nice fat tone or a high almost tinny tone. However I can't express this enough the heel is definetly a great flaw in this and all PRS gutiars.

If your a beginner and are looking for a first cool guitar or are more into the rhythum and not so much a soloist style. I would suggest this. If your an experienced and fluent guitarist pass on this and beware of PRS guitars