It is a multi-pad electronic drum and a drum machine, strangely similar to the Alesis Performance Pad ... in fact, it seems that only the color changes because ION is the sub-brand Alesis (they do not even bother to block declawed PSU).
It thus has eight rubber pads, velocity sensitive, which can play live or scheduling patterns. The trigger is fairly reliable, and responds well to the nuances of hits (dynamic bearings, flas, ...), and the rebound is realistic. This is however not sensitive enough to tap it with your bare hands, it falls well there is a pair of chopsticks provided. And also a headphone closed fairly good, not to hear the little tap-tap-tap on the pads.
The sound module is built similar to the legendary SR16, I suspect the preset sounds and rhythms to be, in every case the sysex are compatible. I find it sounds very good, used directly in a register and assimilated rock drum or electro. Attention drummers who want to enrich their acoustic kit sounds can be percu disappointed there are not many sounds "exotic", thirty out of 230. Finally, you can still attack another MIDI sound module.
In terms of connectivity, it has two line outputs in 6.35 jack, a headphone jack, a volume knob common to the latter, an auxiliary mini-jack, a MIDI output, and two pedal inputs for switches (kick and hi-hat ).
Can be screwed below a support for hanging on the stand is compatible with the media for Multiclamp SPDxx Roland (and therefore with their copies).
I use it for over a year, in a home studio (I'm not a drummer). Originally purchased as a metronome improved, I finally used more as a mini electronic drum kit for the bursts and recording some ideas com.
- Rock drum sounds
- The compact
- The nuances of game with chopsticks (compared to a drum machine)
- A headphone and honest included a pair of chopsticks
- Entries for hihat and bass drum activate each one of eight pads, no additional sounds. So with or without the feet, there are only eight sounds in the sticks. It is a pity that the module can handle 12 sounds SR16 (I checked, the contacts are there) but the software does not allow access.
- Inputs for pedals only manage switches, piezo triggers not
- No MIDI IN (MIDI OUT only), we can not use the sound module with the internal sequencer or by bumping it.
- The screen is not backlit
Purchased on sale at -50%, the value is of course excellent! For the purpose I do, I would do this choice without hesitation. I would hesitate maybe 5 minutes with the Millennium Sixt Pad, which has been out.