Sony PCM-M10
Sony PCM-M10

Pocket Recorder/Multitrack from Sony belonging to the PCM series.

Nafoute Nafoute

«  Super stuff - Its disappointing »

Published on 09/03/11 at 09:07
I am the owner of this machine for 2 or 3 months but could not really try it last week, the festival Rock en Seine.
The unit impresses with its versatility and richness of its functions and its independence is absolutely incredible.
So much for the positive.

Before the M10, I had a wonderful Sony Minidisc RZ-RH1, which always gave me results beyond my expectations (I record mostly concerts). Associated with Soundman microphones OKM2 (Rock version) connected in line in the preamp Soundman A3 also home, I had a very subtle and dynamic sound.

My minidisc arriving a little late life (it's fragile critters), I got in mind to buy the M10 after having scoured the forums.
If the functions and finishing of the gear impressed, I was extremely disappointed, however, the resulting sound.

A few days after the reception, I went to a concert to test the machine. For this test I used the internal microphone.
I stayed in manual level by ensuring the display not to exceed-8dB "to see".
Arrived home recording was totally saturated, unusable.
Putting this failure on account of my inexperience with the beast, I have better prepared my second test.
I started to engage the clutch, on paper, was m'enpêcher such disappointments and I handed over my hand OKM.
I first tried to register with the A3 line input but the input signal was inexplicably low even with the bottom level.
So I resigned to plug in my OKM microphone, the level is at once much more consistent.
During the concert I still kept an eye on the meters. Everything was fine.
Listening to, again, big disappointment!
Sound (96kHz/24bit) is much flatter than the RH1, but more importantly, when the low occur, it will overwrite the entire sound spectrum.
I will in future further testing but so far I'm really disappointed by the M10.