sE Electronics sE4 Stereo Pair
Publié le 11/19/09 à 10:16
The SE Electronics SE4 Stereo Pair are a set of small diaphragm condenser microphones that are designed for use in the studio.  Since my main focus is on recording, I've only had the chance to use these microphones inside the studio.  The mics have an interchangeable capsule including ones for cardioid, hyper cardioid, and omnidirectional polar pick up patterns.  The mic also has a -10 db pad and a high pass filter on it.

I've used a pair of the SE Electronics SE4 for recording in a home studio and was definitely happy with the sounds that I was able to get from them.  I only used them for two applications during recording - one being for recording drum overheads and the other was for recording an acoustic guitar.  I found that they worked great for getting a stereo spread of both applications, but they excelled better as drum overheads.  As would probably be the case for all small diaphragms, I found that they didn't pick up enough low end and low mids of the acoustic guitar.  I usually will use a small diaphragm in tandem with a large diaphragm for recording acoustic guitar, but thought that this would be cool to try with these mics.  Even though I didn't get the exact sound that I was after, I would bet that just having one of them in tandem with another microphone to pick up more of the low end would definitely be a good combination.  As drum overheads, the SE4s did an awesome job of getting a wide sound.  Although they don't sound as great as a pair of Neumann KM184s, they will cost you a lot less and still have a very acceptable sound.  If you are home studio owner looking for a very reasonably priced set of small diaphragm condenser microphones, definitely look into trying or buying the SE Electronics SE4 Stereo Pair.