Waves Eddie Kramer HLS Channel

All user reviews for the Waves Eddie Kramer HLS Channel

( 4/5 based on 2 reviews )
  • Monitor and EQ

Waves Eddie Kramer HLS ChannelPublished on 06/15/11 at 14:30
    This is another plugin made by Waves that was modeled after a famous Eddie Kramer product. This plugin is based on the Helios mixing console that was found in London's Olympic Studio. For those that don't know, the London Olympic Studio is one of the most famous studios in the entire world when it comes to everything that is classic rock. This particular device is basically just a monitor with a somewhat primitive EQ. The main thing you'll probably be using this for will be the EQ portion as today's monitors are more accurate and precise. The EQ itself is pretty good, but it definitely leans towards the vintage side. Don't expect anything very clear and transparent. This thing is meant to add its own character to whatever you're EQing, be it good or bad. There is a good bit of saturation that occurs when you use this, so keep that in mind when you use it. The lows are a bit on the boomy side, but the highs on this unit are pretty nice.

Waves plugins are some of the most famous plugins out there, and it's for good reason. They're cross platform, and considering I'm a Mac user, that's a big plus for me. They're also extremely reliable. I've never had a Waves plugin directly crash my session when inserting it into a buss. The same can't be said for certain other plugins out there. I really wish it was 100% 64 bit, but I have a feeling it'll be a few years before we see that. On the other hand, Logic employs a special converter, so it's not a huge deal. It doesn't take up much memory like some plugins do, so you're free to use this quite a bit. I've been a long time Waves user, and I've had the Mercury bundle for a few months now. Can't say I ever read the manual simply because a lot of these plugins are fairly self explanatory.

I don't use this plugin nearly as much as certain other ones. I prefer a much more transparent EQ for the most part, and when I want character, I'll usually use some sort of compressor. I find that a nice vintage compressor will be much cooler on guitars than a vintage EQ for whatever reason. You'll probably want to use this sparingly, regardless. It's a pretty powerful plugin, so keep that in mind when selecting various settings.
  • Waves Eddie Kramer HLS ChannelPublished on 09/16/10 at 20:11
    The Waves Ltd. Eddie Kramer HLS Channel is a plug-in that is part of the Eddie Kramer designed series of plugs. Eddie Kramer, for those who don't know, recorded a little known guy named Jimi Hendrix, so he might know a thing or two about sound recording. This plug-in is available for individual purchase, but I believe that there is an Eddie Kramer bundle that this is also a part of. I recently got the Waves Complete bundle, which of course includes this one. The HLS Channel is an emulation of a Helios channel strip used by Kramer and many others at the famous Olympic Studios in London that were used to record so many classic albums. The make up of the plug-in consists of an equalizer, a preamp leveler, and an input and output fader. Users should be able to pick it up quickly as it really isn't very complex. A manual would be a good idea if you feel lost after looking at it, but probably isn't going to be necessary for the majority of users.

I'm currently running the Waves Ltd. Eddie Kramer HLS Channel and the full Waves Complete bundle at home as well as at the studio where I'm working. I only recently got it at home but had used it a few times at the studio, but really had only messed around with it until I got it myself. At home I'm running it in Pro Tools LE 8 on a Mac Book Pro consisting of a 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM, while at the studio we are running it with a Pro Tools HD system. On either system I've been able to get them up on a series of tracks without performance issues. If you have a lesser system you might run into some problems, but chances are that you have or are looking into getting some Waves plug-ins that you know this and already have an adequate system.

I've definitely been loving the real feel that the Waves Ltd. Eddie Kramer HLS Channel has to offer. I'm a big fan of plug-ins like this that model hardware as it gives you a familiar interface to work with and makes it seem a bit more life like. As far as the sound of the HLS Channel goes, it's also quite realistic. I've used Helios channels before, but not the one that this is supposed to be modeling. If I can compare this EQ with the real Helios One strip that I've used, I have to say that it's not comparable as the hardware Helios just can't be beat. Having said this, for a software emulator this thing sounds pretty damn good and isn't nearly as much money or as hard to find a real Helios. I'd recommend at least trying out the HLS Channel if you're at all interested in Helios gear, this series of Kramer plug-ins, or simply are looking for a nice channel strip plug-in to work with.