Waves Jack Joseph Puig Drums
Waves Jack Joseph Puig Drums
Hatsubai Hatsubai

« Interactive yet complex EQ »

Publié le 07/01/11 à 17:32
Jack Joseph Puig is a one of the most famous, award-winning music engineer who's done everything from U2 to No Doubt. Considering his popularity, it was only natural that he would get some famous mixing/mastering plugins, and Waves stepped up to build and offer them to the public. The plugin features modes for kick in, kick out, snare top, snare bottom and toms, sensitivity, main, gate, comp, lows, master and high knobs, a meter switch to select between different views, a phase switch, and center fades that select between attack, size, attitude, punch, sub, length, sustain, tone, presence and verb.

The plugin itself is basically an all-in-one plugin to allow for "ease of use" and versatility without having to flood the screen with tons of different plugin. You can really do a ton of shaping with this plugin, and that's the biggest reason for using this plugin. I never read the manual, so I can't comment on that. However, everything is fairly easy and intuitive to use. I never experienced any compatibility issues with this, either.

Waves is one of the number one companies out there when it comes to things like stability and performance. JJP Drums is rock solid, and I've yet to experienced a single crash when using it in my favorite DAW -- Logic Pro. The plugin is also cross platform compatible, so there shouldn't be any issues running this on both Windows and OS X. I do have one minor issue, however. These plugins are 32 bit plugins for OS X, but my DAW is a 64 bit DAW. Because of that, my DAW has to run a special bridge program to fully utilize this. If possible, I'd much rather have to not use that if I don't have to, but it's a fairly minor complaint as they still work perfectly fine. The real cool thing about this plugin is that it doesn't take up too much memory, so you can use quite a few of these as necessary for your overall mix. I've been using the Mercury bundle for about half a year now, so I've had some decent experience with these plugins.

Drums are very hard to mix/master, and they take the longest time. You always have tons of different instances of triggers, having to move things closer to the grid without it sounding mechanical, parallel drum compression on the slower stuff and on and on. This plugin is cool for those who just want some simple all-in-one solution to help make their drums sound bigger without having to go through a ton of other plugins and work.